heat light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickmom, Dec 3, 2007.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it ok to leave a red heat light on all night and day? I have it hanging over their roosts. It is getting cold here (24 last night) and my girls are only 9 wks old. They have been in the coup for about a month now. The regular lights are on a timer to come on for 10 hours.

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Ok I dont heat because it doesn't get that cold here but from what I've read here the heat lamps do make light and that may stress the girls a little. It may depend on the color of the bulb. But there are heat lamps that emit no light(ceramic). I'm sure someone that does use heat lamps will let you know the scoop.
    Randy

3. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I probably should have posted this somewhere else. The size of my coup is 8X16. I thought the red light would be OK for night. Please let me know what the red light is for.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I keep mine on all the time now or the water will freeze. I just have it secure so it wont fall or anything. I lost a sister to a house fire, so i worry sooooo bad about fire. So just be safe. I remember my MOM always saying...."you dont plan an accident" and i used to think..."blah, blah, blah....." I hate to say how right you were MOM [​IMG]

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I heard the red keeps them calm [​IMG]

6. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    I just bought a Red Bulb for my brooder and so far I am very impressed.

I got 8 new hatchery chicks last week and they were picking at each other and not eating for the first few hours in the brooder. Not that it's unexpected, but when I switched to the new Red Bulb they immediately calmed down, stopped picking at each other and started eating.

The box the bulb came in says,

"Very little visible light provided, so as not to disturb you animal's sleeping patterns."

"Perfect 'Nightlight' bulb for viewing the nocturnal behavior of your animals."

"Ideal 24 hour heat source for all types of reptiles, birds or small animals."

I am now using the Red Bulb for heat in the brooder and I turn on a fluorescent for 10 hours of daylight. I wanted to keep the daylight on a little longer, but after a long day, the chicks really seem to enjoy when I turn off the bright fluorescent.

Matt

7. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks Matt, I know I had read somewhere it would be OK to leave the red heat light on all the time. I just wanted to be sure after some of the other things I've read.
    Ruth

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, it's ok to leave the red light on for heat 24/7. Be careful that it is raised high enough so the flock won't fly into the light and cause a fire hazard. Don't freak out at this warning, just use the lamp with the protective wire and be aware of dry bedding and a hot lamp. I've had a couple break from a active cockeral with the bulb still hanging inside the protective fixture. With young 9 week old birds, their size and weight isn't a concern, however they grow fast and you might want to raise to light higher later this winter. Keeping the young ones warm is very important. Good Luck.

bigzio

9. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Am I OK in assuming that just enough heat to keep the water from freezing is good enough at this age? The temp is (so far) staying around 45 inside the coup and my girls are Black Australorps.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Mine range from 5 mos up to 8 mos and i ran 2 heaters in the coop last night. A friend keep warning me that there is such thing as loving them too much. But i dont believe her [​IMG]
    I think if you will feel its not going to warm enough......you wont sleep....you will worry......so you can try waiting.....or run two lamps like i did. Bottom line....trust you heart....ya kinda have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by