heat light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    when will it be safe to take the light off of the chicks??? mine are 1 1/2 weeks old

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Normally, when they are 5 and 1/2 to 7 weeks old and fully feathered. This time of year, as the outside temps begin to fall, it is important to wean them off heat intentionally and carefully. I'd want them used to normal temperatures, whatever they are in your area, by Halloween. They will "adjust" their feathers to match what they need.

3. becklinn77

becklinn77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Oologah, OK
    Bumping this up because I want to know too!

Temps are very warm here during the day (high 90's) so I've been turning the light off in the daytime but back on at night. My chicks are in the garage - not climate controlled but well insulated, so it isn't getting below about 80 even at night - but I still turn the lamp on to keep them up around 90. How cool is too cool for them? (Mine are about 2 wks old) And when can I quit worrying about it (as long as they are in the garage - where even when it's very cold out it stays above 50)

4. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah im in maine so it foes get cold here. when should i move them into the big coop with my other girls????? it will be winter when i do it.

5. Fred's Hens

Of course, you COULD move them, along with their lamp, to a barn or shed now. Many, many folks brood in outdoor barns, including me.

What you asking, however, is more an integration question. That is really tough to do when chicks are small, less than 16 weeks and big old hens tend to really, really be rough on them. You'll likely need a "grow out" pen for the months between leaving the brooder and being big enough to integrate with full size, mature hens.

6. Fred's Hens

Quote:By week 3, most chicks are pretty comfortable with temps in the 80's. Same issues apply as the OP. You'll have to ween them off added heat at or about week 6. They need and will want to be out of the brooder. They will need to adjust to temps, whatever they are. A mother hen kicks out her chicks at that age. They are on their own. 6 weeks and chicks will adjust to whatever the temps are your area. The chicken is quite adaptable and tough. Cold is much easier for them to adjust to than 100F heat.
    Thankfully, those temps are soon to be a memory in most parts of the country, as autumn is soon upon us.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah we have a screened off area for the little ones and big ones to integrate through the wire. they wont be getting beaten up on my watch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by