Heat light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DonaldG, Mar 8, 2015.

1. DonaldG

DonaldG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    Dryden, Ontario, Canada
    i'm assuming you lower the temperature in the brooder by raising the light. How far up do you put the light to start with to get 95*

2. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I'm new to chickens but all I did was put it close enough that I feel that the floor is warm and then I watch my chicks and see if they run away from the light and hide in corners or if they sit right in the middle of the light as if it is not hot enough.
    I'm sorry my information might not be the best but I hope it helps :)

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It depends. Buy a thermometer and place it 2" off the floor of the brooder right under the light. Raise or lower the light to hit your target.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That really depends on the hight of the brooder and the wattage of the lamp. A thermometer on the floor of the brooder is the best way to figure out where your lamp should be. If you don't have a thermometer just now, go by what the chicks tell you. If they are chirping loudly and piling on top of each other, they are cold. If they are spread out around the edges and panting they are hot. if they are near each other and being quiet, they are ok. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by