heat must stop now

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kinnip, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've been working on my mini-coop (already got a big one [​IMG] ) and trying to get the run secured, but I can't get anything done with this heat. In my driveway/woodshop it's got to be three million degrees. I can't even see for all the sweat in my eyes. I know how that wicked witch felt-- 'I'm melting, I'm melting!' Come on yankees, tell me you're feeling the burn too!!

2. markbruce

markbruce New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't know about the yankees, but my chicks are laid out in this heat. I thought they were dying! put a fan on them and they came around.I am in Haddock, GA and it is some kind of hot here today!

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Well, it's 95 outside, feels like 100 (according to weather.com) and we don't have AC.....this has got to be the most fun I've ever had in the summer (NOT!!!) When we were kids we didn't have the money to run the AC, but we had an attic fan to suck air in through the open windows. Not here.....(Now, where the smiley with sweat dripping from face???)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Ahh, misery loves company! I think I have some second degree burns on my hands form handling insanely hot tools.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Is there a way to rig up a misting system where you're working? i got some 50 foot kits on sale end of season last year. Put one up on our back porch when we were scorching and it made a huge difference.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    It is wicked hot and humid here in Mid-TN ~ something in the range of 97 with humidity in the "jungle" range. To keep the girls cool we have ~

* spread a Cabela's hunting camo cover over the run to shade things,
    * kept a rotation of frozen gallon jugs coming into the coop and yard (the girls even lie or stand on the flatter ones),
    * put out heavy dishes full of ice (which they will stand in!),
    * and yesterday I even ran around after them with a spray bottle full of chilled water.

We also have an industrial fan to keep things moving ~ and even a screen door on the dang coop to keep the air (non-)flow going. DH also mounted an old computer fan up in the top of the coop to suck the hot air out!

As for me, an icy pitcher of Sangria and an air conditioned living room works. Anyone else doing anything insane to keep the chix cool?

Jen in TN

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've been putting out bowls of ice and adding ice to their waterer. We just ran out of chilled watermelon, so I've switched to strawberries. They do have a fan and a lot of shade. Every time I walk around back to see one of them panting, I think 'You suck, man. It's nearly 10 degrees cooler back here than in the driveway where I'm building you shelter. Someone needs to get a job or start laying eggs pronto!' As much shade as there is in their run they always find their way into the sun, or a big chicken pile-up. What is with that?!!

And another thing: Why is it I'm overheating, the chickens are overheating, the cats are looking as ragged as my garden, but the goats are running around like they haven't a care in the world? I envy those chuckleheads their stamina.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

most of last month was 100f and above :eek:,, we finally got down in the 90's now [​IMG] ,, we have had chickens for a year now (started with 2) and we sell chicks that we buy from another woman,,and finally getting MY flock back,,hehe,, right now we got about 20 of our own, 30 or so for sale, 2 peafowl,2 golden pheasants,and the 4 cats that sleep with them at night,,,HEAT is my BIGGEST problem here in texas,,every couple hours my sprinklers go off and sprinkles them for a few minutes,,,WOW, they RUN under them when they splurt off!!
    im a full blood yankee from maine,, been down here in the depths of the heat for 6 years,,,if my neck wasnt broken i would rather be in the COLD!! hehe [​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Oh, man! That timed sprinkler idea sounds great! How did you set that up??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by