Heat? No Heat?

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
Our chicks are 3 & 4 weeks old. I find that they are sometimes resting away from the brooder plate, next to it, or halfway in and out. The room temperature is mid 60s - 70.1.
They seem comfortable but hubby is afraid of them becoming too cold.
We raised the plate and seemed that more would go in but not really.
Not sure what to to do at this point.
Pls keep in mind that I’m very new to this but loving every minute of it!

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?
Leave it in there. As you have noticed, chicks can handle cooler temperatures a lot better than many people believe. But give them that option and let them decide of thy need it or even just want it.

If you have a room full of people some will be cold, some will be hot, and some will be comfortable. Chicks are much the same way. They are each different. Right now you are sort of at a boundary, some may need it but some won't. That could be either 3 or 4 week old chicks too, it doesn't always go exactly by age. In another week they won't need it in those temperatures.

Our chicks are 3 & 4 weeks old. I find that they are sometimes resting away from the brooder plate, next to it, or halfway in and out. The room temperature is mid 60s - 70.1.
They seem comfortable but hubby is afraid of them becoming too cold.
We raised the plate and seemed that more would go in but not really.
Not sure what to to do at this point.
Pls keep in mind that I’m very new to this but loving every minute of it!

Your thoughts?
I would leave it in but maybe raise it up even more so maybe it isn't as warm for them? I use a MHP made with a heating pad that has 9 settings. By 3 weeks mine are down to a really low setting and sometimes on 1 whis is the lowest or off. Mine come off heat around 3-4 weeks.

I would leave it until they are 5-6 weeks. I noticed that with my chicks even brooding out in a barn at 3-4 weeks is when chicks will start to naturally wean themselves off of heat using a brooder plate. This is when I set the brooder plate up as tall as I can get it. By 5 weeks my chicks don’t use it at all so I remove it.

Leave it in there. As you have noticed, chicks can handle cooler temperatures a lot better than many people believe. But give them that option and let them decide of thy need it or even just want it.

If you have a room full of people some will be cold, some will be hot, and some will be comfortable. Chicks are much the same way. They are each different. Right now you are sort of at a boundary, some may need it but some won't. That could be either 3 or 4 week old chicks too, it doesn't always go exactly by age. In another week they won't need it in those temperatures.
Thank you!

In my experience I think the heat is way over kill. By that time I leave lamp on overnight but unplug during days by week 4 I pulled all heat. I usually have no less than 10-15 chicks so they can huddle if necessary. I had them in insulated garage also that stays 60 no matter exterior temp as long as it’s above freezing.

Back
Top Bottom