Heat of the summer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Presidential, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Presidential

Presidential Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    We have lots of predators in our area, so we close our coop at night. What about in the heat of the summer? Even with the little window open (with hardware cloth), I think it will be hot. We have a small 4X4X4' coop.

What do you do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My coop is large and quite open air, and I still run a fan all summer. Sounds like you need to construct some sort of protected space where they can sleep, perhaps with 1/4" hardware cloth / wire mesh. Or you might replace two walls with hardware cloth.

Here is a thread on hot weather coops; perhaps you will have an idea from looking them over:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

3. Presidential

Presidential Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    I'm in Ohio... So, I am not looking at Texas heat... Just at a handful of steamy nights. What do my Buckeye friends do about the Ohio summers?

O-H-

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How about opening up a wall. Make an insert fully screened with hardware cloth. In the winter, you can put a more solid wall insert in place.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by