1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat off all night are they dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlueBirdChick, May 13, 2011.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    K this morning I realized that somehow or someone accidently pulled the cord to my incubator out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All night no heat whatsoever ????? Didnt have the heart to candle them either cause they are pretty much all done cooking and waiting to go on lock down and when I discovered this morning that they were ice cold my heart sank to the pit of my stomach. I mean I've got at least 20 eggs in the incubator ready to go on lockdown within a few days [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not sure what to do at all.. Any suggestions?? Thank you so much

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    This happened to someone a while back and quite a few hatched. I would give them a chance. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    sorry for your loss, I don't think they will hatch if they got cold:'( But maybe you will get lucky with some if they got warmed back up in time. Good luck, let us know!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most likely they will be fine, perhaps a day or so late. Go ahead and do the lockdown, best wishes!

I've had winter power outages, the eggs survived just fine. I think the worst was overnight and then some, very cold eggs and still a decent hatch.

5. BlueBirdChick

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Quote:thanks everyone [​IMG] Im gonna still put them on lockdown and see if i get any hatches . Hope so [​IMG]

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    warm 'em back up, then candle them and look for movement [​IMG] personally, i'd keep them in the bator anyway, see what happens.

7. BlueBirdChick

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    lol oh yeah that thing is heated up just right [​IMG] and the eggs are nice and toasty ive got a lot of my amercauna eggs in there so I was like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    aggggggggggggggggggg lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lol hhahahaa

8. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    My husband did that to our hatch last year. Non hatched for us. I hope you have better luck. The hardest part was my son having to check every single egg. He was really ticked at his father

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Warm 'em up, they should be fine. [​IMG]

I had my 'bator turned off for ~16 hours and the temp was under 60f when I noticed, all the babies due the next week hatched fine. [​IMG]

10. BlueBirdChick

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG] i candled them and they look good i see babies moving

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by