Heat or not to Heat the coop for 6 Bantams

Frizzlemethis

Hatching
Oct 9, 2021
Hello All!! I am just getting started with a small flock of 6 Bantams, 2 frizzles, 2 silkies, 2 mottled cochins. The coop i have them in is small. I transferred them into the coop last week. I live in Northeast Ohio and of course colder weather is on its way. I am looking for recommendations as to whether i should add a heater to the coop as the weather gets colder. If so what is the best/safest one to use regarding fire etc? And any advice too getting them ready for winter etc :)

Thanks so much in advance for your help and suggestions!!

If you want the coop to burn down then add a light otherwise they have downfeathers to keep them warm

Adding heat can be difficult.

If using an extension cord it can short out in wet conditions. Power can fail then they are suddenly plunged into temps they aren't acclimated for.

Just how small is the coop? Pics can help a lot in getting best suggestions.

I find having good ventilation is much more helpful to them then trying to add heat. If you have proper ventilation most of the heat you are trying to add literally goes out the door.
Damp air needs to rise and exit the coop so condensation doesn't settle on them while they sleep leading to a much higher risk of frostbite.

I have kept bantams for many many years now. I do not add heat. We get spells of temps as low as minus 16° in winter and up to 3' deep snows. No frostbite has happened here except 2 different years there was very minor frostbite on my leghorn hens combs.

Welcome!
The issue here is that there are Silkies and frizzles, both of whom have odd feathering that's not great at insulating the birds. Check on the Silkie thread, and your state thread for advice. And I agree that heat lamps, or any electrical device, needs to be managed safely!
Pictures of your coop will definitely help here.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom