Heat or not

Mtman

Chirping
Mar 20, 2020
5F98D617-8FCC-4665-85FC-45C3D45FAA53.jpeg

We just started our chicken adventures. I built this coop which is about 8x10 and open to the north. Just outside of the coop is a 12x19 run with a shed roof covering six feet from the coop out.
My question is-should I build a wall and a door to the coop for the winter? I’m in Iowa so it can get pretty cold and windy.
Thanks

View attachment 2227559
We just started our chicken adventures. I built this coop which is about 8x10 and open to the north. Just outside of the coop is a 12x19 run with a shed roof covering six feet from the coop out.
My question is-should I build a wall and a door to the coop for the winter? I’m in Iowa so it can get pretty cold and windy.
Thanks
Can you extend the shed roof? So it connects to the coop? That could give you more sheltered snow free space, that would be very nice!

In snowy areas, walls are nice, but great big wire areas that let in lots of air are also good. The trick is to set up the coop so that snow does not blow in.

If you look up a Woods style coop, you will see that they have a front wall that is about 1/2 or so wire, but the way the coop is set up the snow does NOT blow in (well,in a super storm maybe an inch or 2, but not more than that)

Yes, 4 walls, but winter ventilation up high.
What does the roof lines look like?
Open soffits are the best winter ventilation, IMO.
I put in a vent two days ago up high. I have a shed roof without open soffits which is why I put the venting in.

I showed a friend the coop today and she said I should close it off so that’s what I’ll do.

Back
Top Bottom