Heat packs for chicks

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bumblebeehillschickenfarm, Jan 24, 2009.

1. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    I am getting ready to start selling my chicks and wanted to know about heat packs and how long they last and where to buy them. I have a few small orders and this is the only way i know how to get them there safely. Thanks

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    They dont really get too hot.
    I have used them to ship chicks now for several years and have yet to loose a single bird since we started . EVERYONE should put these in the boxes for ALL day old poultry, it just makes sence???

We get the 72 hour ones and always get possitive reports on the receiveing end, as to them still being warm.
    We put a layer of tin foil in the bottom of the box, a heat pack in the center, then the straw liner on top for the chicks to stand on.

We also only ship by Express, reguardless of Priority be acceptable for day olds. It just helps the buyer have better chances of receiving healthy birds.

We get our packs of eBay, but I am sure you can find them most anywhere.
    They were designed for the aquarium sells buisness, and floral shipping, so you may want to check those type of suppliers if you dont like eBay.

But, I highly recommend , you and everyones else uses them.
    It makes a trmendous difference.
    Aubrey

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    yeah, you can ship chicks in early spring, and small amounts. Just dont over do it and roast them. one is enough.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's right! Just one.
    They average around 100 degrees, which will heat the box up just enough to aid in healthy shipping.
    2 probley would be too much though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by