Heat Plate vs Heat Lamp

kaylavern11

Hatching
Feb 27, 2022
I have 6 baby chicks and my brooder is set up in our unheated garage- nightly temps range from teens to thirty’s and days are 30-50s degrees Fahrenheit. Our garage probably stays in 40s to 50s. I currently have the chicks set up with a heat lamp which is what I used last year- however I was hoping to switch them to the eco-glow brooder. Would the garage be too cold to use the heat plate? How do the babies know to go under the plate if they have the lamp? Do I need to bring them to a warmer area?

Are there any instructions with that heat plate as far as temperature restrictions for usage? Some plates say it needs to be 50F or higher to use.

As far as how the chicks know to go under the heat source, I introduce them to their heat source same way as I do the water, I manually put them under it so they feel the warmth and know its there. As long as the brooding space isn't huge they'll find their way back to it when they need it.

I currently have 5, four week olds. They spent the first 3 weeks of their life in a brooder in our unheated garage in temps equivalent to what are experiencing. I used a heat plate that is NOT intended for outdoor use. HOWEVER, I supplemented with a Thermo-peep heat pad that is intended for outdoor use. Set it up so half of the space under plate had the pad and half didn’t so they could choose where they wanted to be. Pad had old towel over it and the whole contraption had a towel draped over and around. They were absolutely fine. Healthy and happy. By week 3 weren’t even using the pad and they seemed to think the plate was plenty warm. They are now in a new permanent brooder in the coop. Coop is not insulated and I do not provide supplemental heat for the big girls in the winter. Chicks only source of heat now is the plate. We’ve had lows in the 20’s and they are still perfect!

I'm new to chickens. I used my seedling heat mat in the heat mat method. This worked fine when they were small, but at about 1 week one of the chicks was screaming. Eventually, I figured out that they were too cold outside of the matt. I started using the lamp and they were right as rain after that. Barred Rocks. Tough birds!

I have 6 baby chicks and my brooder is set up in our unheated garage- nightly temps range from teens to thirty’s and days are 30-50s degrees Fahrenheit. Our garage probably stays in 40s to 50s. I currently have the chicks set up with a heat lamp which is what I used last year- however I was hoping to switch them to the eco-glow brooder. Would the garage be too cold to use the heat plate? How do the babies know to go under the plate if they have the lamp? Do I need to bring them to a warmer area?
I purchased a heated plate after they were 2 weeks old and they were used to the heat lamp so they did not gravitate to going under the plate. Moving forward, i think if the plate were in place from day 1, they would know to use it. I coulda stuffed them under the plate, but i was too nervous to touch them thinking i would hurt them! I cant wait to get more chickens someday. I will handle them SO much more. They were so tiny i thought i would hurt one! Aww, their precious, tiny tiny, thin legs. Not anymore tho! Big, strong, scratch like crazy strong legs. Lol. What the heck did i do before chickens! (They are my best friends, shhhh) 🐓❤️

``````
I purchased a heated plate after they were 2 weeks old and they were used to the heat lamp so they did not gravitate to going under the plate. Moving forward, i think if the plate were in place from day 1, they would know to use it. I coulda stuffed them under the plate, but i was too nervous to touch them thinking i would hurt them! I cant wait to get more chickens someday. I will handle them SO much more. They were so tiny i thought i would hurt one! Aww, their precious, tiny tiny, thin legs. Not anymore tho! Big, strong, scratch like crazy strong legs. Lol. What the heck did i do before chickens! (They are my best friends, shhhh) 🐓❤️
I cannot believe how much I love mine, too. Had no idea!

Back
Top Bottom