Heat question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenBreese, Jul 23, 2013.

1. JenBreese

JenBreese Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I have six chicks that were hatched on July 10. I am struggling with having the correct temperature. I thought they should be around 90 at this point. I have a reptile gauge and read outs are fluctuating from 88 to 95. Of course, then I move the light. Mostly they seem active and comfortable. Tonight I moved them to. A bigger brooder and it seems a bit hotter in it because of the high walls. One or two panted a bit but they were laying directly under the light. I am stumped by these creatures but also enamoured. :)

Here are some pictures since they are so darn cute. [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't pay much attention the thermometer. Especially now that the chicks are older, they'll show you with their body language whether they are cold or not. Getting "cold" in mid summer's heat is unlikely except during the rare cool night.

It is summer and with days near 90, the birds, especially chicks a few weeks old, don't want any added heat. They are plenty, plenty warm. Of course, if you have them in an air conditioned house, you're cooling the air, just to heat it up again.

Anyhow, chicks of that age need room. A big brooder is ideal because the chicks have room to move about. If you do provide some heat assistance, at night mostly, it won't need to be some huge 250 watt bulb anymore. Those are fine for late winter or early spring brooding when the air is still cold. Now, in summer, those are frankly dangerous. A little 75 watt bulb can produce plenty enough heat in those radiant fixtures most people use.

Your chicks are feathering in nicely. Consider adding a little warmth only from midnight to 7 am. That's about all they need if the air temp around them is already 80+ degrees.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I agree with the above post..I have a brinsea heater, my 2 week olds don't even go under it, so I removed it, they are fine,

4. JenBreese

JenBreese Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I should add that I live in a fairly cool area of Northern California. Last night it was in the 60's and the days are in the 80 or high 70's. thank you for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by