Heat reaching almost 100

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken_Hubster, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chicken_Hubster

Chicken_Hubster Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    So this past week it has been around 100 for like 4 days straight and I noticed that my girls seem to hold their wings down a little like they are trying to let cool air in underneath of them. Their coop is in the shade. Is this normal? or should i be concerned.

Thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    113 here today.

I've lost two juvies in the past two weeks to the heat, I've been putting ice in the water and I'm probably going to need to get a new AC unit for my coop.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    a mister is nice to get. I spray down the dirt to keep it cool and put ice in their water. Also treats of cold watermelon are nice [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Yes, chickens will hold their wings out a little bit when it is hot, for exactly the reason you mentioned, to let cooler air in next to their bodies.

5. Chicken_Hubster

Chicken_Hubster Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Thanks so much for the replies, I'll rest at ease now.

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    They are just trying to cool down they will be fine...

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

While it is normal, you should do what you can to help them. It's good that your coop is in the shade. But you can also fill their waterer with ice each morning, and if they're panting too (beaks open), then you might try running a fan during the hottest part of the day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by