Heat source, care for baby chicks ...am new at this help

Josip

Crowing
Sep 20, 2019
Croatia
So am student and I hatch chick's first time I put them my lamp for study as heat source..I check temperature under lamp it was 94 degrees.. is this good solution or will harm my chicks?
And also in the bottom i put papers which I change regularly is that good?

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_032624.jpg
    IMG_20200525_032624.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200525_032617.jpg
    IMG_20200525_032617.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 14
The temp is OK, but I count 11 birds. They're gonna outgrow that brooder in no time flat. I'd get down to the recycle place and pick up some cardboard, but some duct tape, and make a bigger box. That thermometer is not really an accurate one, so you can monitor the temp by the actions of the chicks. They know what's going on.

I was curious could the light from my study lamp harm them, eyes or something..its actually 15, I will keep them inside this box just a week. And then move to the bigger one, how long do they need lamp?

I was curious could the light from my study lamp harm them, eyes or something..its actually 15, I will keep them inside this box just a week. And then move to the bigger one, how long do they need lamp?
Hi Josip! You will need some form of heat for them until they are around 4 to 6 weeks old. It doesn't have to be a light. Some studies have shown that a clear bulb light can cause chicks to be more aggressive than a red bulb light but I can't remember why right now. If you search this website for 'brooder heat' you will find tons of ideas for heat sources. Brooder lamps with red bulbs are fairly inexpensive also.
I had 17 chicks. My brooder was a box from a 55'' TV that I cut in half, cut each piece open, then laid inside of one another to make an expandable box, and put over a piece of linoleum that we got from a Habitat for Humanity 'ReStore'. If you don't have one of those, try the scrap flooring section at a Lowes or Home Depot for inexpensive material. Once my chicks were 2 weeks old I used binder clips to hold a piece of window screen across the top to keep them from flying out. It was nice being able to keep it small when they were little so I could reach them more easily.
5B2396D3-602C-4251-AAC6-0437F0C80AC5.jpeg

This isn't a great photo but maybe it'll help you see how I put the boxes together. These were my chicks having play time at about 3 or 4 weeks old. The one by the light is standing on top of the screen.
Good luck with your chicks.

They need the lamp for the time that they still have fluffy down feathers on them. There’s not really a set time. I had my chickens on heat lamps until they were old enough to go outside. I’m sure they’d be fine even without the lamp. They have each other for a heat source.

They need the lamp for the time that they still have fluffy down feathers on them. There’s not really a set time. I had my chickens on heat lamps until they were old enough to go outside. I’m sure they’d be fine even without the lamp. They have each other for a heat source.
Chicks that young cannot regulate their own body temperatures well enough to 'use each other as a heat source'. Down doesn't hold enough heat in for them to maintain a proper temperature which is why, without a Hen you need a source of heat in your brooder. Cold chicks will die much more easily than those with a heat source.

Chicks that young cannot regulate their own body temperatures well enough to 'use each other as a heat source'. Down doesn't hold enough heat in for them to maintain a proper temperature which is why, without a Hen you need a source of heat in your brooder. Cold chicks will die much more easily than those with a heat source.
As long as they are in a draft free place, I’m pretty sure they are fine. The setup Josip has is perfect.

Josip's set up includes a light, which is a heat source.
I was saying even without a heat lamp I’m sure they are fine with a light bulb. The chicks also produce heat that is keeping them warm too. Just keep them warm, and fed and happy and you’ll have some hens.

DH (Dear Husband) and I used a red light at night which enabled the chicks to settle down and sleep, as it's not very bright and perhaps they don't see red light very well. During the day there was sunlight in the room and also regular light so they could see and be active. We started them out at about 95°F at one end of the brooder for their first week and lowered the temp by 5° a week until they were ready to move outside. The other end of the brooder was cooler, being away from the light, so they could cool off if they wanted to. Overheating can lead to pasty butt. Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom