Heat source

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by modenacart, Feb 16, 2008.

1. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I plan on using a heat pad under the plastic brooder for a heat source to keep the chicks warm. Is this going to work?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I would not know. I think they are supposed absorbe heat through the body. I never done a heat mat though so I would not know

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the inside of the brooder reaches 95 F, then it would work. I don't know how hot that pad is going to get though, and if it's going to be hot enough for the chicks. I'd reccomend a heat lamp or regular lamp if you don't have that many chicks. A 100W bulb even works inside if you have a reflector.

4. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    The heat pads worked really well with baby squirrel, baby opposums, ground hogs, mice and baby rabbits. Wasn't sure about the chickens though.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    put a thermometer in there to check the temps. Should be around 95F

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Put a thermometer on the floor and see if it gets warm enough. Looks like I was beat!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never tried that. Is there still going to be an area that they can get away from the heat source? I guess that and if water were spilled on it would be my concerns.

8. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    The heat pad would be under only part of the box. It looks like its not going to get hot enough.

9. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    It looks like it might work. We made a carboard "house" to put over the heating pad and the temperature held at about 96 or so. I need to try it with an inch of litter before they get here.

10. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    What we have done with getting seedlings to germinate is to use a water bed heater under a air mattress filled with water (instead of air) to help distribute the heat evenly. I don't know how hot it would get though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by