Heat sources (Night)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuwaitchicken, May 31, 2010.

1. kuwaitchicken

kuwaitchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Kuwait City
    Hello everyone,

I am using a regular bulb to heat my brooder in the day time and use a heat bulb at night. For some reason (i suspect our electric source) I burn a lot of the heat bulbs at night, I am surprised when I check up on my chicks in the morning that the heat bulb has been burnt during the night and the poor little things cuddled up. Does anyone use any other type of heat source to use at night?

2. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    I use heat bulbs. One bulb last me months and its on continuosly. It must be electrical surges. Do your regular bulbs burn out so quickly? What if you plugged the heat lamp into a surge protector, that way it would kick the surge breaker, which is easily reset rather than burn out bulbs. I'm not sure what heat bulbs cost where you are but they are about $5 each here, so that could get pretty expensive.

3. kuwaitchicken

May 15, 2010
    Kuwait City
    Yes the bulbs are expensive ($15+) and the regular bulbs also burnout occasionally. I have been using a regular bulb yesterday night since they are much cheaper to replace but I need to find me a solution for tonight. Your surge breaker suggestion could possibly solve the electric problem and I think I need to get me one today. Was also thinking of using an oil heater but its big and would heat up the entire room.

Is there any other option of heating a brooder during the night other than a heat bulb?

4. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    What is the temperature there at night?

5. kuwaitchicken

May 15, 2010
    Kuwait City
    Quote:the room averages around 72 F. i think i found something that can withstand even my electric surges

Ceramic Heat emitter:
    [​IMG]

might be the best solution instead of heating the entire room with a heater

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by