Heat Stress/Heat stroke - How long do symptoms last?

Pics

MROO

Enabler
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
Hi All,
I have a young D'Uccles cockerel - about 6 months old, fighting the effects of the horrid Maryland humidity. He was in a covered run with a decently ventilated (apparently not decently enough!) coop and five bantam companions, all the same age. Last night, when I checked them at bedtime, they were spread out across the coop floor instead of huddled in their roost box, a raised box rather like a nesting box, but higher.I assumed that was because of the heat. All five seemed okay.

This morning, when I went to let them out, I had one dead OEGB cockerel (RIP sweet Cornelius) and Fella, all fluffed, head drooping and nearly unresponsive. I immediately brought him inside to the AC and put his feet and lower belly in water (cool to the touch, but not cold) to cool him off. As he rested in the water, I gave him some Pedialyte, undiluted, with a syringe. I started along his beak, but he ended up sipping a bit on his own. Once he had revived a bit, I transferred him to a nesting box in a dog kennel, inside.

He has revived significantly tonight. He is standing on his own, drinking unaided and on his own volition. He really hasn't eaten much aside from a finger smudge of Pedialyte/20% chick mash/ teaspoon of cat food mash I rubbed along his beak. His poops look fairly normal, aside from one that looks like a cecal poop - shiny but decent color. He moves around the kennel when prompted, but sticks to the quiet back wall when left to himself.

It's now 11 pm here, and he has settled in for the night, but he looks very fluffed up. He did drink more, but hasn't really done much with the scrambled egg I left for him. Is there anything else I should do for him, right now, or should I let the poor guy sleep it off and see how he is in the morning?

Okay, Fella is better this morning, alert but still puffy. He made straight for the fresh Pedialyte/water I just put in - a good sign! But ... I now have a sick pullet from the same pen. While heat stroke is definitely a major factor, I suspect that I'm dealing with more than just that. Yay.
Fern is lethargic & wobbly, refusing water and food. She feels light. I'm heading to TSC this morning for more bedding, wormer and Corid - I hope I don't need the Corid, but if I do, I need to have enough on hand to dose 2 dozen bantams. Pictures to follow, after my trip to TSC... Chickens, first!

I’m so sorry about Cornelius. I have read multiple times that heat stress is cumulative. What temps are you expecting tomorrow? Also, what is the temp outside right now? Can you place fans just outside the windows to suck some cool air through the coop(s)?
It's miserably hot and will be all weekend. The worst part is the humidity. Even with moderate heat, the water-logged air makes it hard to cool off. My Gramma always called this "Wet-rag-in-the-face" weather, because that's what it feels like as soon as you step outside - like someone just slapped a warm, soggy cloth over your face. Nasty!
I may run to our hardware store and see about a passive fan for the coop - a little mini-turbine that rotates as the heat rises. We'll see how the rest of this expensive day pans out. We may just have to get creative... again ...

I started another thread on cooling chicken feet (because mine don’t stand in the dishes I put out on hot days) and am reading other people’s flocks enjoy standing in large shallow dishes (like rubbervfeed pans or plastic tobagan) with water or even large blacks of melting ice. Someone else says her flock loves it if she creates puddles for them to scratch in. Of course, these are daytime/outside ideas, but probably worth a try for you.

Back
Top Bottom