Heat Stress Produces Soft Eggs...with TAILS*UPDATE BELOW

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Aug 23, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a funny egg, but I know it's from heat stress. We've been in the 90's here with high humidity for weeks. Usually, we never go over 80 degrees in the summertime at my elevation, so the chickens are stressed in spite of multiple water stations, water to wade in, misting them down, cold treats, etc. They all have oyster shell and limestone calcium freechoice and layer feed so it is a definite heat related egg problem.
    I found this egg today and I know it belongs to my SLW, Lorelei. How about that tail, guys, LOL? It is funny-looking, but definitely not a funny situation. She had a brittle egg a few weeks ago and my RIR, Ruby, laid a soft egg that broke in the nest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Cynthia.....looks like the ones I get! Depressing isnt it? You know they are suffering, and there just isnt anything else we can do, we give them all we can to keep them cool and hydrated. COME ON FALL!!!!!

3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Oh, gosh! Surely it is the heat. So far what eggs I get have been normal, but I have a couple EE's who are staying in on the roost a lot of the time, and sitting or standing around with their eyes closed. Look droopy as heck, and I don't know if they are sick, or if they just got too hot, or what. I've checked for mites & lice, -clean as a whistle - and the worst one was scratching in the dirt in a damp place I fixed, yesterday, so hopefully when this heat goes down, they will all be feeling better. I sure hope so, for all of our sakes. After that terrible, tree breaking ice storm last winter, and now this terrible humid heat this summer--I guess I am a spring and fall person. LOL

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh my goodness Cynthina... I have never seen an egg like that. Heck still havent seen many eggs at all LOL. Well at least I know if that happens to me I will surely know what it is and not freak out LOL... Cute tail by the way... [​IMG] Thanks for sharing...Tes

5. speckledhen

Judy! A girl after my own heart! If it could just go Spring-Fall-Spring-Fall, I'd be in seventh heaven! I'm a "needs to be between 50 and 70 degrees" girl. And if it had to vary, it could get cooler, LOL.
    I never have egg problems with my girls, never. I should be glad I'm getting about a dozen a day from my 19 that are laying. My Buff Brahma is about 28 weeks old and has yet to lay her first egg-she's holding it in till Fall, I guess.

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Speckledhen: I read many of your posts and your responses to others posts. You seem to have terrific knowledge of chickens and seem to know your own flock VERY well....so I'm sure that heat is the culprit!

I was wondering though if this link had been around before...could be helpful to people that are still getting to know their flocks and learning about chickens! What do you think?

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

7. speckledhen

Yes, I have it bookmarked. It's very informative on many, many issues.

8. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I for one would like to say thank you for the link... I book marked it for future use!! Being a new person myself.. I am always reading and trying to understand. Hey Cynthia... now I don't have to email you everytime something "happens" [​IMG] I do have alot of sites book marked... but apparently never came across this one.. Vey interesting!!! Thanks again
    Tes

9. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Your welcome! I guess even if the info has been around it doesn't hurt to revisit it for those who are new to the board.

10. speckledhen

LOL, Tes, you email me anytime you want. I certainly don't claim to be an expert on much of anything, but I'll try to help. If I don't know the answer, I'll say so. AND, if I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by