1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat stress/will they ever lay again?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erlibrd, Jun 26, 2011.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I've been doing some searching for heat stress/stroke and think my three hens were heat stressed. Haven't had a normal egg since June 2nd, one soft shell egg and some poop that looks like egg yolk in it. Yucky poopy butts, I've given them baths to clean the butts.
    They were lethargic but seem to be coming around and getting better.
    So now I know what has caused the lack of eggs I need to know if they will lay eggs again. I did read to give them liquid calcium but how? in the water? how much etc.?
    I also know now about freezing bottles of water and giving them a shallow tub of water to stand in if they want....
    I feel so horrible for this happening to them, never would have thought it because the coop is in the shade. So it was more so the humidity than the heat from what i've read. Thankfully the young ones were in the cool garage.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    they should start to lay again but it may take some time..

if you have a fan that you can put in the coop to circulate the air that may help them too. I have one of those window fans that you can switch the direction of the fan by flicking a switch so at night when I close them up i will flick the switch and suck the cooler night air in and in the morning i will reverse it so i am sucking the hotter air out

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Thank you for the reply.
    It's been 3 weeks since laying but they just starting acting like they feel better so any idea? another month? any thoughts on the calcium supplement?
    I do have a fan I can use but there's not much head room in the current coop. The new one is almost finished except for the nest boxes roost and run.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    some may recover quicker then others... but I know mine lay very far and few between in the hot summer months they may not start to lay again till fall.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by