Heat Stress?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alabama ee, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I just had a bird die. Of course, it was my daughter's favorite. I think it may have died of heat stress, but I am not sure. She was fine this morning. I went out and checked on them at an hour before lunch, and I saw her panting in the coop. I thought she was fixing to lay an egg. All the others were out free ranging in the yard. When I came back just a few minutes ago, she was dead. I did notice the top of her head had a bloody mark. Do you think one of the others may have pecked her too hard on the head and it killed her?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Chickens are succeptible to the heat. I lost two in the henhouse in a hotspell years ago. Now I hose off their chicken run area and make sure they have plenty of fresh water on the hot days. Also that they have access to the shade. Did she die in her nesting box?

3. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    I found her on the floor of the coop, next to the nest box. Sometimes she would lay her egg there.

Their coop is next to some apple trees. There are also other places they can go for shade. They had plenty of clean fresh water.

I am not sure if she went into the coop and got too hot, or what happened. Whatever it was happened suddenly. I check on them several times a day. She was fine this morning. I checked a little later and I saw her in the coop breathing hard. I thought she was fixing to lay an egg. I came out about an hour later thinking that I was going to gather an egg, and found her dead. I did find a big bloody peck mark on the top of her head when I picked her up.

I am so sad about this. "Peaches" was my daughter's favorite.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive lost a couple to heat this year. Ive had to be very careful to keep up circulation, and I let them free range more than I usually would, so they can find their own cool spots. Its been tough this year.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Bummer, it always seems like you lose the favorite or the prettiest or healthiest ones. I don't know how hot it is there. I'm in California and I think the time I lost my two it was probably going on 110 degrees with low humidity. They both died by the door to the hen house (inside). I don't think they always make the best decisions moving into the coop to excape heat nor do they always have the sense to get out. Maybe she went into lay and just stayed too long. Whenever you see them panting like that it's a good sign they're hot. Were the others panting?

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    With heat and humidity we made it to 113* today. I wet the run down (pretty much to mud), set a small fan in the hen house and let them free range. I also have a "wading pool" set up for them by turning a lid from a rubber-maid tote upside down and filling it with water - they walk and stand in it a lot. So I took the big tray out of my dog's wire kennel and filled it with water too. I still worry about them - they are panting and carrying their wings high so air can get under them.

I am sorry for your loss.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The fact of the matter is, there's really no telling what happened. It could be the heat...internal laying...since she had a bloody mark on her head-physical damage...it's a crap shoot really. I lost my sweet little EE about a month ago, NOT on one of our hotter days. She was laying outside in a dustbathing area, like she was asleep.
    Just be happy that it was fast and not traumatic. And yes, for some reason the odds usually don't favor the favorites or special ones... I'm am sorry about your daughter's little bird... [​IMG]

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I suppose they have little chicken heart attacks just like people do. My brother once said he thought just the stress and strain of being a good layer might do that.

9. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:It is near 100 here.

When I first checked on her, she was the only one in the coop. The others were all out of the coop in a shady spot. When I came back and found her later, there was another one on the nest, but she was not panting. That is when I found poor Peaches dead. She was one of the friendlest ones. That is why my little girl liked her so much. Sigh...

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I remember my first one killed was my favorite (my own dogs did it). I cried my eyes out. I can't imagine what it must do to a little girl. Unfortunately it's one of the hazards raising chickens. All you can do is learn and do the best you can to give them a good chicken life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by