Heat stroke Hen doing better but how long should I keep her out of the heat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by devon1182, Aug 1, 2013.

1. devon1182

devon1182 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    My Chicken Little is doing SO MUCH better!! She was clucking and drinking water this morning. I brought her outside to see her friends am she seems very happy to be outside. But I didn't know if he should stay outside or not?? Also my Australorp keeps trying to attack her!! And I have no clue why. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I did not catch your original post, but it seems unlikely she suffered a stroke. Heat exhaustion is common this time of the year. It has a weakening effect which persists in humans. A human would be encouraged to stay out of the heat for a week or so.

Heat is really quite a drain on chickens. Trying to keep her in a moderate environment is probably impossible outdoors, so providing shade, plenty of water, and a misting device for atmospheric cooling would be an ideal arrangement.

It has been somewhat cooler than usual here in South Carolina. Even with that, my chickens spend plenty of time in the shade or drinking all the dog's water.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by