Heat Stroke, Lethargic, Possible Crop Issue...

Ryudai

In the Brooder
May 21, 2018
I have an older blind rooster I've been caring for for about ten years in Hawaii. I recently spent the night at a friends house and came back at about 9:30 in the morning to find my rooster, who lives outside, in the sun. I figure he may have been in the sun for about two hours. Even though it's morning, this summer has been very hot and humid.

I've seen my rooster panting and wings stretched out before and immediately put him in the shade with water and he's fine. This time however, I fear it was just too long. I brought him in the shade as I usually do and tried giving him water, and his comb and waddle were (and still are) dark purple, but it didn't seem like enough, so I brought him inside and started the AC. I had hoped this would help him but he seemed to just get lethergic and layed down. I also noticed his crop was not reducing over time, but fluid was (and still seems to be a little) coming from his beak.

Thinking he might have a crop issue, I tried to make him regurgitate, but he may have aspirated, as his breathing was difficult and gurgled. I spent the night with him checking on him every time he coughed/sneezed. Reading electrolytes might be necessary, I made a sugar and salt water solution agave it to him via strange and tube.

Early in the morning he started to pant again so I brought a fan to blow on him, which seemed to help. I also put some cold water on a towel and put it around his back and between his wings.

At this point, his crop is still full, comb and waddle are still dark purple, still lethargic, not very responsive, but seems to be breathing normally. I don't know what to do. He can't even stand now.

We recently went through a sour crop incident a couple.months ago that took him about 4 weeks to recover from and he had lost a lot of weight. Up 'till now I have been trying to get him to gain some. We made it through that so having this ordeal now is so difficult.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have him drink so,e hot water and slowly massage his crop. This will help break up whatever is stuck. If it doesn’t improve you might have to do some more serious things. Surgery is an option but is still very risky.

Have him drink so,e hot water and slowly massage his crop. This will help break up whatever is stuck. If it doesn’t improve you might have to do some more serious things. Surgery is an option but is still very risky.
His crop is full of liquid. He hasn't had solid food for a day or so.

I’ll offer what advice I can. Well I’m impressed that he’s 10 yrs old. Heat stroke can cause permanent brain injuries. You have a double edge sword. He needs electrolyte’s it’s not quite the same as sugar water. Easy enough to find. The baby isle of any store will have them. Don’t get a flavored electrolytes if you can help it. You say you’re tube feeding him? His crop issues you need to be very careful aspirating him at this time. His comb color seems like a heart issue. Again he is 10 years old.
Electrolytes yes. Tube feeding no. Keep him cool and comfortable yes. If you could get him to eat yogurt or scrambled egg that would be good. If he does have a yeast infection (sour crop) this will help. Massage it gently. Yogurt has probiotics and eggs has protein for strength. At this time he sounds pretty weak. So I would not do any of the “extra” treatments right now the stress alone could be too much. Keep it simple. My best wishes for you and your Roo. I will pray for you both.

is he pooping? What are his dropping like? If he isn’t pooping his crop is impacted. The food in his crop has gotten stuck together into chunks and is blocking the hole where the digested food would go down. He needs to have his crop drained. You can take him to the vet and they will take a small needle and drain his crop. Get out all the fluid and maybe give him antibiotics. The second option would be to keep your eye on him and massage him crop

I’ll offer what advice I can. Well I’m impressed that he’s 10 yrs old. Heat stroke can cause permanent brain injuries. You have a double edge sword. He needs electrolyte’s it’s not quite the same as sugar water. Easy enough to find. The baby isle of any store will have them. Don’t get a flavored electrolytes if you can help it. You say you’re tube feeding him? His crop issues you need to be very careful aspirating him at this time. His comb color seems like a heart issue. Again he is 10 years old.
Electrolytes yes. Tube feeding no. Keep him cool and comfortable yes. If you could get him to eat yogurt or scrambled egg that would be good. If he does have a yeast infection (sour crop) this will help. Massage it gently. Yogurt has probiotics and eggs has protein for strength. At this time he sounds pretty weak. So I would not do any of the “extra” treatments right now the stress alone could be too much. Keep it simple. My best wishes for you and your Roo. I will pray for you both.

I don't know how I would get him to drink if I don't put it in him. He is not active. He's also blind. The liquid in his crop has been about the same level as yesterday evening. It's now past 10am here. His breathing has also become shallow.

is he pooping? What are his dropping like? If he isn’t pooping his crop is impacted. The food in his crop has gotten stuck together into chunks and is blocking the hole where the digested food would go down. He needs to have his crop drained. You can take him to the vet and they will take a small needle and drain his crop. Get out all the fluid and maybe give him antibiotics. The second option would be to keep your eye on him and massage him crop

He hasn't had any solid food for two days. There's nothing solid in there. Yesterday his poop was liquid. He's not pooping anymore.

Back
Top Bottom