Heat stroke or coccidiosis? Help diagnose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alphagamchick, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Hi everyone. I know you all will be able to help me with this situation. I had to attend an out- of- town funeral. I left Monday morning and returned Tues. night, which left my family in charge of the chickens. I had some 4 week old chicks in the garage which I take out during the day and bring in at night. When I left they were perfectly healthy. No one in the family thought to put those babies out yesterday and they baked in the garage until my husband came home from work and realized they were in there. Three have died. There are four that are still listless and light. The rest seem fine. I noticed that their droppings have some pink in it. Not the bright red as I have seen in coccidiosis photos. They are on medicated feed. When I saw the pink in the droppings I wondered about cocci. I always kept them clean and they had fresh water. I am putting vits and electrolytes in their water now. What is the best procedure now with the listless chicks? Is the pink in their droppings due to the heat or should I treat for cocci? To say my family is on my black list is an understatement!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would treat for Coccidiosis. Four weeks is a prime time for chicks to get this disease. Treat with Corid 9.6% liquid, at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water.

4. Alphagamchick

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Thanks for the advice. Will head to the tractor supply.

5. Alphagamchick

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Will they drink on their own or should I try to give the water with an eye dropper?

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Make sure they have cooled down,heat issues will kill chickens. Chickens do not have sweat glands,they rely on their respiratory system to cool themselves down,that is why they pant,spread wings,etc. May take chicks a couple of days to feel better. Make sure they are eating/drinking. With heat stress/stroke there can be bloody droppings/diarrhea from rectum,due to the fact that internal organs sustain damage during heat stress/stroke. That being said,definitely treat for Coccidiosis as it kills very fast.

Do not give vitamins during treatment for Cocci,vitamins interfere with the ability of the medication to work. Cocci medication blocks Thiamin(vit B1) from body,cocci needs Thiamin to reproduce,Amprolium stops the reproduction bringing the cocci under control,this is how medication works. Purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They might drink it, but just to be sure, I would drip some water on the side of their beak and see if they drink it that way. Just be careful not to drown them by getting some in their windpipe or nostrils.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by