Heat Stroke with 13 week old pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazedCowgirl, Jun 21, 2016.

1. CrazedCowgirl

CrazedCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    Hi everyone,

I lost one of my littles last night. I bought 2, 10 week old pullets from a local breeder the end of May. Both birds have been in a strict quarantine since I brought them home. Yesterday we got up to 81 degrees at my place here in Eugene. I gave my younger birds in quarantine, frozen water bottles and ice cubes with veggies in them to help keep them cool. I gave my older girls (5, 6 month old hens) a mister and the same "treats" as my younger birds.

I noticed the my little chocolate orp was sleeping a lot and not moving too much, but other then that, she was pretty normal. She was eating, drinking and talking just fine but I found her dead in the coop this morning. My other bird seems to be doing just fine. Eating, drinking, super active, very talkative.

I'm worried that both birds are sick and introducing my remaining little o my established flock will kill them all. Quarantine hits 30 days this coming Sunday, June 26th.

My question is: Can I extend quarantine for a couple more weeks? Should I be keeping a closer eye on her? Honestly, what do I do now? I'm a new chicken mom and have yet to run into something like this.

TIA for any help or advice! I sure could use it.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately without a necropsy there is no way to tell what caused her death.
    Was her poops normal?
    Was her crop full, did you check her over for any wounds, cuts, trauma?
    Did you only notice she was sleeping a lot and not moving for one day or was it several?

Yes, you can extend your quarantine period for however long you want. Keep a close eye on your remaining chicken, watch for any signs of lethargy, weakness, coughing, sneezing, eye/nose discharge, lameness, etc.

Provide your remaining one with her normal feed, add some poultry vitamins to her water if you like. Don't treat with any antibiotics and wait and see how she does.

If she seems to continue to be healthy and normal then, it would be up to you to decide whether she is ready to start the integration process.

If she is a "lone chicken", then you may want to look up articles here on BYC about integrating a lone chicken so the transition can be less stressful and dramatic (hopefully) for all concerned.

3. CrazedCowgirl

CrazedCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon

That's kinda what I was afraid of... :-(

Her poop was a little runny but still solid, I've been mixing electrolytes into everyone's water as we've been having some pretty big fluctuations in temp lately.

I looked her over and didn't see any wounds or signs of lameness. Her crop wasn't full or overly full. They have free access to chick grit as well as grass and chick feed.

I noticed her being sleepy over a couple days but figured it was just the heat, my bad I guess.

I think I'll extend quarantine a week or two and then just go from there.

Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by