HEAT STROKE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by t-dawg, Jul 20, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    Im just wondering, since it's summer, what would happen if i ordered chicks, and when the chicks are being shipped(they send a heating element in the box w/ chicks) will they die?[​IMG]

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    The way one hatchery explained it to me is they put them in a small enough box and have enough other chicks in there to hold in heat. Some hatcherys won't ship less than 25 birds so their body heat can help keep them warm enough. I don't know how companies do it that ship just a few and in cooler climates/seasons.

3. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    OK? Why would they send a heating element in the summer with the chicks? I think they would just send the chicks in a box with a wet sponge or something to regulate the temp in the box.

4. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    Well, im just planning on ordering 3(Rhode Island reds!), and they put the heating element in there, (you have no choice) but i just don't want them to die of heat stroke!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't trust shipping during any extreme weather conditions at either end or in between.
    JJ

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Did you post on here that you were looking for 3 chicks under the buy, sell, trade thread ?? You may find some in your local area and then you wont need to worry. Or look under chickenstocks or swap meets and see if any are going on around you that maybe you could go to.

7. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    I had chicks shipped a few years ago around this time. I got 7 chicks with the heating element shipped to FL and they all survived. They need the heat since the larger frieght trucks are temperature controlled.

8. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Quote:I totally agree. There still people in local areas selling chicks, pullets, and chickens. You should check craigslist for your area under farm/garden or your local feed stores they might still have some left.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The heating element is just a pack containing chemicals that produce heat for a period of time. You have to remember that the buildings and large freight trucks that the PO uses are all air-conditioned. The only time they're exposed to heat is when they are in the postal deliverer's vehicle. And they don't deliver them...the PO called me to come pick them up. I had 10 shipped about a month ago and they were fine.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is not a heating element. It is a heat pad chemically producing heat.

I would not risk ordering and paying their price for just 3 chicks.

Look around locally. There are chicks to be found.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by