Heat Tape or Heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jan336, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Given where you live, I wouldn't use either. Where we live, above 5000' elevation in the foothills of the Sierras, we get several nights of sub-zero temps and lots of days that never get above freezing. My coop is not insulated. And other than keeping the water liquid...I don't have any special accommodations for the ladies. They do just fine. Your birds have a layer of down and another layer of feathers to keep them warm. Keep the coop draft-free and as dry as possible. They'll be fine and you won't have the risk of a fire.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For what purpose do you want to use it? Honestly, for any common purpose there are better ways of doing it (more effective, safer, cheaper). So, what exactly are you after?

Pat

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
  5. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I wonder if this would work for my waterer. my water is going to be a 3 foot section of 3" PVC, with a watering nipple on it. I wonder if i wrapped that around the piping if it would keep it from freezing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by