heat tape

myfarm4579

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Being my 1st winter with chickens I am considering making a warm wall with heated cord used in gutters. I would only use it if needed if temps fall below say-15 or so. Coop is about 5by8foot in size. Any one think it would work or not even bother with it. Just would like to do it before cold weather:) cold hardy breed except 1banty.Coop is well ventilated also. Any thoughts would be great

Chickens don't need heat...they need ventilation. They will do well down to -20 at times. You didn't say what part of the country you live in so it's hard to visualize your winter temps, but I live in snow country and we have a short period of time where it gets down to -10 to -20...I do not heat my coop.

I live in michigan near the mighty Mac:) coop is all ventilated with Windows on all sides

Your chickens produce enough body heat when all together in the coop. Just make sure you are using a 2" x 4" laying FLAT for their roost bar, that's important. Why? Because they not only will be more comfortable (have you ever really looked at the size of those feet?
gig.gif
) and they can 'lay' on their feet to keep warmer. Ventilation is a must. I keep my two windows open about 3-4 inches all winter long. Condensation/humidity is deadly to chickens. It's hard for us 'humans' to remember that they're chickens...they don't like it hot like we do!

Back
Top Bottom