Heat Tolerant Egg Layers??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvinrunnin, Jun 29, 2011.

1. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    We have 6 SLW hens and a roo. Came from the feedstore so are from a hatchery. While they aren't show quality, they've done well the this year and last as far as laying and have tolerated the heat well. They are 2 yrs old now, so I expect them to start slowing down next year and want to get some birds in this fall to replace them.

I REALLY like the blue laced red wyandottes and would like to get some from a breeder, BUT, the good quality birds seem to have a thick feather coat, and I worry that our 100+ with super high humidity would be too hard on them. I don't have to do anything special for our birds other than their pens are under trees, and they have fresh water daily. So no special treatment. I don't want to end up with birds that have to be babied through the heat. I work 12hr night shift and spend an extra almost 4 hrs daily driving when I work, so can't be having to put out frozen jugs of water, frozen treats, etc just to keep them alive.

I also really like the marans for their dark brown eggs but don't know that much about them.

What breeds are heat tolerant, but are really good layers????

2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Check out the Australorps!!. ...........stan

3. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Thank you, I will do that!

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Sumatras are my best hot-weather egg layers. They are only ones that will lay when it gets above 90.

5. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Hmmm, I'd never have thought about the Sumatras. It's above 90 here (SE Ga) EVERY day and my SLW are giving me anywhere from 2-5 eggs per day with 6 hens. The Sumatras are pretty too!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Hmmm, I'd never have thought about the Sumatras. It's above 90 here (SE Ga) EVERY day and my SLW are giving me anywhere from 2-5 eggs per day with 6 hens. The Sumatras are pretty too!

Yes and they lay quite well. I get an egg pretty much every day for every hen I have. They don't lay as well (or at all) when we're -10 or whatever but they make up for it when it's really out!

7. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011

Yes and they lay quite well. I get an egg pretty much every day for every hen I have. They don't lay as well (or at all) when we're -10 or whatever but they make up for it when it's really out!

Very cool! Are they aggressive??

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I was under the impression that the Leghorns were great in the heat. THere are many varieties ie brown leghorn.

9. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:I did a google search and found that info also. Also says Ancondas are good layers and heat tolerant as well. They are pretty birds too although I don't know how common they are...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yes and they lay quite well. I get an egg pretty much every day for every hen I have. They don't lay as well (or at all) when we're -10 or whatever but they make up for it when it's really out!

Very cool! Are they aggressive??

No not all.

Another good hot weather layer is a Blue Andalusian or a white faced black Spanish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by