Heat Tolerant Run/Coop in the CA

silver1polish

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Sadened...
Anyone Having problems with the heat in CA? One of my girls got overheated and we had to put her in a seprate area with a fan going. She's doing better but, still watery poop...
sickbyc.gif
And she's molting what are the odds. But Anyways we dont have much shade anymore since the 2 trees we had last year got cut down because of cracking reasons. Any Ideas on a Coop kinda thing for heat?
Issues To Know:
1. No shade
2. Not much space
3. Overheated hen
4. 90 dgrees and UP weather daytime - 70 - 88 dgrees at nighttime
5. Bit of a broody hen
I was thinking maybe about misters around their yard? Maybe some fans?
Thx!
Silver1Polish
bun.gif

Last edited:
You really need shade, even if it is a blanket stretched between poles or a cheap frame made out of PVC. If your birds can't get out of the sun, you'll probably lose them.

Misters and fans will definitely help, especially if your humidity is low. A pan of water or even puddles in the shade will help.

Good luck with your flock!

Any smaller shade trees ok for chickens that you reccomed? Just saying, no pine, eucalyptus, or oak trees plz :3

Last edited:
Depends on where you live. I used to live in So Cal in the Riverside/San Bernardino area. Was much hotter there, but my chickens did fine with deep shade and tons of water.

During the summer here in NorCal I attach shade cloth to the sunny side of the coop with zip ties. Makes a huge difference. Orchard Supply sells it by the foot.

How about a fruit tree? I have a plum tree in the chicken run. I surrounded it by chicken wire while it was getting started this spring and now it's high enough that the chickens can no longer get to the leaves. Once it starts producing fruit the dropped fruit should make a nice snack for the girls. Bay Laurel Nursery is a great source for bare root fruit trees if you can wait until February or so to plant.

Last edited:
During the summer here in NorCal I attach shade cloth to the sunny side of the coop with zip ties. Makes a huge difference. Orchard Supply sells it by the foot.

How about a fruit tree? I have a plum tree in the chicken run. I surrounded it by chicken wire while it was getting started this spring and now it's high enough that the chickens can no longer get to the leaves. Once it starts producing fruit the dropped fruit should make a nice snack for the girls. Bay Laurel Nursery is a great source for bare root fruit trees if you can wait until February or so to plant.
i like the Shade Cloth idea

The fruit tree is good, but i dont really think i can wait until Feb xD

Depends on where you live. I used to live in So Cal in the Riverside/San Bernardino area. Was much hotter there, but my chickens did fine with deep shade and tons of water.
I'm around the San Deigo Area ;3

My pullets have a one gallon plastic waterer and I filled it with ice water today around 2 pm. After drinking they began pressing themselves against the jar. It's 100º here today. Their run is covered in shade cloth and I have left some of the weed plants to grow for shade, and these weeds are now like bushes 4' high providing shade along the south side of run. They've dug a wallow under one of them and hunker down in the cooler dirt.

Plant another tree !!! Preferably fruitless mulberry. I am in So Cal 109 yesterday keep it damp maybe auto water under tree for irrigating the tree my rocks love wallowing in damp soil also misters are CHEAP and plentiful here 1/2" black compression tubing barbed misters battery timer on hose bib you could also buy a auto water that recognizes temperature all of this at your local irrigation company. Check online

Watery poop is not unusual, they drink more water when it's hot.
Shade, shade, shade.
Large shallow pans with ice cubes, they can sip as it melts, and stand in it to cool feet(might have to 'show them' how to do this).
I give some chick saver electrolytes every other day, just mix a quart for 25 birds, in late afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom