Heat vs. Ventilation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gmayberry, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gmayberry

gmayberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a small coop, 5 X 5 X 5 with a rooster and three hens. The temps have been in the mid-teens overnight and in the low 30's in the day. There are two small windows both half open, one to the south and one to the east. The door to the coop faces north with some natural windblocks. My question is; When the weather gets worse, which it most certainly will and the wind picks up should I close the door overnight to reduce the draft? I don't want to sacrafice ventilation but where we live (West Ohio) the wind seems to never stop. I don't want to freeze them out either. Right now they are healthy, happy and still laying with no artifical light even though the days are short and no heat. Just wondering about the future?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you dont want any draft to come into direct contact with the birds...

if the windows are above the roosting level just leave one open a crack and see how it goes..

I have 2 holes the size of soup cans that are then screened off but they are up high above the roosts so that there is still ventilation but the draft does not come into direct contact with the hens

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would probably close the windows at night and open them some during the day on cold nights.

4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    If they are happy and healthy, I would probably not do a thing. They are designed to live in a tree. I have a buddy who raises birds in a two sided coop in -20*. If you are really worried then you could staple a towel over the window, kinda loose, to slow the wind or direct it upwards. But they will adjust as the winter get cooler and cooler they will get more and more down. You will actually see it in the coop. They will adjust to the wind and cold just fine. IMO fresh air trumps all, except protection from predation, but even then, you still could end up with dead birds.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is there any way you could build some kind of baffle over the front of the windows to block the wind but still let the warmer, moist air from the coop exit?

Don't you already close the door at night to keep the birds from being picked off by predators?

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2
    I couldn't have said it better.
    Every coop I build has ever bigger openings and on more sides.
    I don't fret the draft thing and never lost a bird to health or cold.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. gmayberry

gmayberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    The windows have covers now that are about 1/3 open. They let air pass through but do not let the rain or other elements in. My plan is at this point is to close the door at night and open it in the morning when the weather gets really bad. Thanks to all who have replied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by