Heat wave and incubator temp question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilikethedesert, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ilikethedesert

ilikethedesert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    So we're in CT and it's supposed to be in the 90s today. Will the increased temp in my house affect the incubator temp? I need to go out for a couple hours and don't want to cook the baby!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I hate when these posts get buried. You should be fine stepping out for a bit.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You should be fine for a couple of hours. A heat index of 113 degrees this past week spiked my incubator temp to 107 for an unknown period of time. Two hatched thus far.

4. ilikethedesert

ilikethedesert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Thanks, All was well. Now just trying to get this special needs hatchling to eat something- anything!!!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree.. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:A drop Poly-Vi-Sol without iron.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you get a big temperature spike then lift the lid off for thirty seconds or so to let some of the heat out.

Back in early April I did a hatching display for my county fair. Unfortunately it was in an outdoors tent and we had unseasonably hot weather. By midafternoon it was going to 102 and climbing inside. We had to take the lid off every half-hour or so to keep it under 102 until the sun would go down. Still managed to hatch 24 out of 36 eggs.

Sometimes you have to break the rules.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by