Heat Wave--Hens in Garage?

Kathy Golla

Crowing
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi there--we have been dealing with a hot summer in Northern California. We just went through three days of 100 degree temps. Now the weather is forecasting a break over the next two days then 100 degrees for four straight days. I have 6 hens and most of them are not the most heat tolerant (lesson learned).

They do OK in this heat, but heat over the course of several days really wears them out. I have a management plan for managing the heat for them.

My question is, does anyone here ever just move their chickens into a pen in the cooler garage during the heat of the day when there is a prolonged heat wave? It seems like a fairly easy solution, although sticking them all together in a small pen in a dark place Im not sure they would love. Would doing this stress them out more than being in the heat?

I don't see why not, some people are bringing their birds inside to protect during the hurricane. I think as long as they are contained and not going to hurt themselves on anything/exposed to gas fumes from the lawn mower, all should be good if your garage also doesn't get too hot. At least on a concrete floor the mess would be easy to clean up.

Is your garage really cooler than outside? We live in Florida and our garage isn't air conditionedso it gets sweltering hot and stuffy in there. I'm thinking of taking advantage of that, though, our day old chicks will be here in two weeks and they're supposed to be in99 degree temps, which I think our garage probably stays around. I wonder if it's a bad idea for me to keep them in there at first?

Is your garage really cooler than outside? We live in Florida and our garage isn't air conditionedso it gets sweltering hot and stuffy in there. I'm thinking of taking advantage of that, though, our day old chicks will be here in two weeks and they're supposed to be in99 degree temps, which I think our garage probably stays around. I wonder if it's a bad idea for me to keep them in there at first?
I'd say it's too hot. They need a warm spot to go to as much as they need cooler temps to not overheat. That much ambient temperature may roast young chicks.

Thanks Tatchick, I thought that might be a possibility
Chuck a thermometer in there and check it a few times throughout the day and evening. Personally, I like a good 20+ degree difference from heat source to ambient cool zone for the first two weeks. The last chicks I did outside in the coop did great with a heating pad and normal Kansas summer temps inside the shady coop, they fledged of their heat source by 3 weeks old.

Chuck a thermometer in there and check it a few times throughout the day and evening. Personally, I like a good 20+ degree difference from heat source to ambient cool zone for the first two weeks. The last chicks I did outside in the coop did great with a heating pad and normal Kansas summer temps inside the shady coop, they fledged of their heat source by 3 weeks old.
Oh that's smart. Thankee kindly!

Hi there--we have been dealing with a hot summer in Northern California. We just went through three days of 100 degree temps. Now the weather is forecasting a break over the next two days then 100 degrees for four straight days. I have 6 hens and most of them are not the most heat tolerant (lesson learned).

They do OK in this heat, but heat over the course of several days really wears them out. I have a management plan for managing the heat for them.

My question is, does anyone here ever just move their chickens into a pen in the cooler garage during the heat of the day when there is a prolonged heat wave? It seems like a fairly easy solution, although sticking them all together in a small pen in a dark place Im not sure they would love. Would doing this stress them out more than being in the heat?
Personally, I think they'd be better off outside if they have access to shade. A little shade and some air moving can help a lot. Plus they can cool off by digging a hole in the dirt if they have access to it and dust bathing.

Where are you located in NorCal? We're in Sacramento and in the same predicament. Yesterday was 110 :eek: and it looks like a miserable week coming up. I thought about trying the garage also, but my garage gets really hot, even worse than outside.

However, I was at Orchard Supply yesterday and they had portable air conditioners for rent so if you could get air conditioning in there it might be a viable option. Otherwise I think the garage would be too hot for chickens. The concrete floors seem to absorb the heat, whereas outside the chickens can burrow down in the dirt or sand or grass and find a cooler spot.

Back
Top Bottom