heat wave loss - our saltwater 55 gall tank... I'm upset...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tygab, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    well, I kept the tank lights off today hoping to stave off the heat and when I went to work the tank reading was high but not something I thought life ending... we came home to the same temp and went out to get fans tonight.

we've already lost 2 of our 4 fish and the other two (our clown pair) are in dire straights. I honestly don't know if they will make it. we are trying what we can with the fans and ice in jugs and have new water readying for tomorrow. and I don't know if any of our corals will come through

in the past we've had the fish in a room with a window AC unit, but at the new house they are in the living room where we don't have an ac big enough.

I feel horrible and it's a tough lesson to learn. At least the cats and chickens are doing ok...

and add on top of that I've gotten bad news about a family member today... not a good day for me. I just want to bawl....

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    very sorry for your loss, and your bad news on your family member...

about your tank... I had salt water tanks, small ones, no AC, in So Cal for years and on hot days the best way I knew to cool them off was to blow fans long ways along the surface of the tank. The evaporation it caused would definitely cool the tank, but it played havoc with the salinity. Neither one i good for the fish, but they seemed to handle slight changes in salinity WAY better than a few degrees past warm...

Hope your family member situation works out for the best.
    Patty

3. tygab

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Thanks for the kind thoughts, Patty. I think it's both things getting to me now, not just the fish... but I feel so bad about having them in this situation...

we had gone out to get fans tonight before we even knew things were bad, and now have a fan as you say, blowing lengthwise, and two in the windows to draw in cooler air. I don't know if our clowns will make it tonight let alone tomorrow w/ the 100 degree heat predicted. My husband will work from home to try and keep it in check.

it just makes me bummed, the tank was humming along just fine until now.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    ((((((((((Hugs to you))))))))))))))))

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I used to work in an aquarium store, we used float smallish frozen water bottles in the tanks-- but, we didn't have salt tanks, just fresh or brackish water. Isn't that doable with saltwater????

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    have you considered taping those (gel) wine cooler thingys to the outside of your tank (to retain the coolness once you have got it to right temp)

7. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    You can buy drop in chiller units for a 55 relatively cheap. Sure a lot cheaper than to loose your tank. drsfosterandsmith.com carry them,or just do a search on ebay. If you can save it maybe we can do coral trades later.[​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well cry if you wanna. I am about ready to myself. I have not slept tonight because my mother called at 1 am my time on her way to hospital with my father ... he has been in open heart surgery since 4 am my time. I am a mess! So feel free join me in a good [​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry about your tank...and the family problem too.

10. tygab

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    thank you everyone. I'm feeling better today, and we held the tank at 81 today with lots of ice (enclosed, so it doesn't change the salinity) and the fan... My husband did a great job tending them and the clowns are maybe not back to normal, but no longer look like imminent death, so it looks like we've at least saved them...

without getting too hokey or whatnot, we started the saltwater tank after a good friend of ours passed away two months after our wedding. He was into saltwater along with his brother so we started a tank to help stay close to his brother etc. We've had two losses but never the whole tank at risk. has made me think about some other things we need to do to keep it stable (like a power backup). However the vast majority of the time it's been a joy and not much work either.

as for the other issue, my aunt has been hospitalized since April and the news wasn't a total shock, but basically her prognosis was significantly downgraded and she isn't expected to live much longer (days)....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by