Heat wave - will our unborn chicks survive?

kpborkowski

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Chelsea (Vic), Australia
We have two of our broody hens sitting on eggs (today is day 10), but the problem is we are having a heat wave here in Australia and today it has been around 42 degrees all day (I think converts to 107.6 faranheight). It was pretty much the same yesterday and tomorrow is going to be even worse (at the moment it is 6.45pm and still holding that temperature.

The girls have only come off a couple of times today and I felt the eggs, they are boiling hot. Will the babies survive, is there anything I can do?
sad.png

I would guess they would be fine. It is probably cooler inside the coop then the outside temp. since the sun isn't shining in there. Is the coop in the shade at all? Good luck hope they do ok.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the coop is not in the shade, so the temperature pretty much seems the same inside even with all the doors and windows wide open. I am really worried the eggs are sooo hot.

Could you move the broody and eggs into the house? Never had a broody so not sure how she would handle getting moved though. If it makes you feel better I have eggs in the bator now. 1 just pipped and my temp. went up to 109 before I relized it was high when they were on day 7 or 8. Maybe the moms body temp actually helps keep the eggs cooler when its hot outside, not sure how that works.

Are your hens getting plenty of water??? I am sure that they will take of everything!!
hugs.gif

Cindy

PS Boy, how weird is our world??? You have 108 degree temps and there are folks here in the US with -20 degree temps!!!

Last edited:
Thanks willowcol for your advice. We could try moving them to the house the only thing I am worried about is her deserting the eggs, but it may be worth the risk. We only just candled a few days ago too and all seemed to be doing well. Hopefully you are right and the mums body temperature regulates the eggs.

Gee it's kind of funny I have been ready heaps of posts lately about people having ice storms, cold weather problems and here we are having a heat wave.

Yes I am lucky no ice storms here just nasty rain. We did get over 5 inchs of snow in NC last week, first time in like 5 years I think we had over a inch. We are praying for warm weather and you are for cooler weather. Good luck with the hatch!!

Hi kp, and welcome to BYC!

I don't know from experience, but I'm hoping for you that the temp under your broody will stay pretty constant. People here in the states have good hatches when temps are way below freezing, so I'm betting it'll be okay when temps are boiling.

Keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Chickens can regulate their body temperature by panting, just like a dog, and extending their wings to eliminate body heat. I have had chicks hatch in Southern California summers, where it gets well above 110 F many days during the summer. I would think you should just leave her there. If possible you could put a sprinkler to run by the coop maybe wet the roof during the hottest part of the day, and it will cool the area by evaporation and make her more comfortable in there. Wetting the ground will make it cooler also. Soak it if you can.

If you move her she will more than likely get upset and break or abandon the nest and the eggs are safer under her on a warm day than in your house locked in a cage with a panicky mama bird. Just my two cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom