Heat Wave

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spatcher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Has anyone noticed a marked decrease in egg producton with the current heatwave?

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Oh Yeah and so have alot of others. I have gone from 7-9 eggs a day out of my 9 hens to 2 or 3 IF I'm lucky. I also have about 6 of them that are broody so that doesn't help either.

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Thanks for the response Laura. Was getting 6 a day from 8 hens one day then 4 the next. Now two today thus far and I think 4 yesterday. Bought a "mister" from WalMart and that didnt cut it. The adapter on the mister is about 3/8 of an inch and keeps the remainder of the hose filled with water. With 100' of hose, the water has to be about 150 degrees from the hose laying in the hot sun. Finally unhooked that and hosed down everything to cool them off. Everyone is under the coop as I speak!

4. Reece Farms

Reece Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Ruffs Dale PA
    We have had 90's all week and our hens are laying better then ever! 7 white legs and we got 7 a day now 6days in a row! Thats a record for them-daily average is usually around 5.6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by