1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HEAT?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Punk-Rock_Chicken, May 10, 2009.

1. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    I live in Florida and the last 3 days we have had temps over 90 deg. I nottice the chickens panting really heavy and pretty much just laying around. I have an 8 week old partridge silky and she seemed the worst. She layed there and didn't respond to me at first. I ended up bringing her inside into the AC for a bit. She perked right up. I have two coops and both are covered, so they have shade. and the coops are more like REALLY big rabbit cage with runs. So they do have air circulating under them. And they are in the shade about 80% of the day. Today I put a fan on the younger ones that seemed to be effected the most, this seemed to help. But I can't keep it out there all the time, we get frequent rain here. Any ideas, advice or info on chickens health and heat woul be greatly appreciated!

2. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey there Punk-Rock, saw that you are located in High Springs, I am in Newberry [​IMG] What types of chickend do you have?

I asked the same kind of question not too long ago. I asked about putting fans out for them because my polish are panting pretty heavily, and seem to be quite warm. Their runs are covered, and shaded, but they still seem to be pretty hot!

I would love to hear what other people have to say, as far as what we could/should do for them.

I know I have taken fruits in the past (watermelon) and have froze chunks, so that way they have something cold to peck on, but my new polish never really recieved treats I guess, and look at anything I give them besdies chicken feed as a foreign body! lol

3. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Hey neighbor! Your like a stones through away. I have 2 Barred Rocks, a Black Sex Link, a Golden Comet, a RIR, a White Leghorn, 2 Buff Cochins and 3 Silkies. Where did you get your Polish!! I've looked all around here for one! did the Frozen melon help?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I've read that a lot of people put ice chunks in their water and also freeze 2 liter bottles full of water and put those in the run for the chickens to get up against if they get hot.

5. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    lol punk-rock...The melon helped those who seemed to eat it, but the others just staired at it lol. I shipped in some of my polish from Larry Glenn, is Alabama, and all of the rest I got from a poultry judge up by the Fl/GA line. I will have chicks within the next month if you are interested [​IMG]

My chicken partner and her husband raise silkies, and she has a few Turkeys. [​IMG]

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I live in Central Florida and it was 94 in the shade today... [​IMG] TOOO HOT!!! My poor chickens I put ice in there water they love it I also put a fan in there coop.. Where is our rain!!![​IMG] Hope we get some soon my poor silkies hate to see them so hot!!! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Freeze gallon milk jugs filled with water and lay them around your run. If you have access to electricity out by your run, set a couple of the frozen jugs in front of a box fan (redneck a/c). Use misters. Offer frozen treats.

8. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    What kind/size of fan did you buy? I do not want to blow off the feathers lol. I am going by walmart today, to see what they have [​IMG]

9. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    I am gonna try the frozen jug thing, and melon. I am definately interested in a polish chick! I told my wife "OK, no more chickens...UNLESS I find some Polish!!" And look here, I did!! AND right down the road, non-the-less!! I think it was ment to be, she will have to agree! I got the fan at Family Dollar or Dollar General cant remember which. But it was only like $20 and it is one of those meium size round metal industrial type ones. Three settings. I blew my little Silkies right off there roost at first! [​IMG]I can only use it on low or medium with them. Where in Newberry are you at? I would love to see them! I hope you have them soon, my Silky flock are still young enough to introduce a new chick into. I think it's supposed to be even hotter today, so I'm gonna put some jugs in freezer now to hopefully put in their run today.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The cheap box fans from wally world will work. I actually have several large fans leftover from the broiler houses, but I don't want featherless chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by