1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Scooter

Scooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    how cold does it have to get before heat is needed for hens and pullets? draft free coop but open to the cold near the roof for ventilation. we could set up a heat lamp as we already have power to the coop.

thanks.

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
  3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It was only 30 degrees so I put the heat on in the "Chicken Room" because there was no way I could let them in the house with DH home. [​IMG]

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Welcome,
    You did not mention what State you were in.
    We are in NY.
    I only turn a heat lamp on at night if I know the temps
    are going to fall into the single didgets.

I did not want my birds to get used to having a lot of heat incase the electric goes out.

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I don't have any added heat to the coop. Just a heated pad to set the waterer to keep it from freezing, and there is a 60 watt light bulb that comes on before dawn to lengthen the day.

It has been getting into the teens at night. When I check on the chickens, they seem to be fine!

They are covered with feathers after all.

6. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I generally don't heat my coop either, last year I did during one of the really cold weeks where it was below zero all the time, the girls seem to do ok I just make sure they have plenty of food and I add some corn and scratch to their diets.

7. Scooter

Scooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    Thanks - I think I'll spend less time feeling guilty in our warm house while they're out in the cold!

We are in Western Washington where it generally doesn't get too cold. We've had a few nights below freezing, when the outside waterer has frozen but the inside water has only had a thin layer of ice. It is snowing now - think we'll have a few inches by tonight.

I am amazed that they can handle such low temperatures. The point about not getting them used to heat in case of a power cut is a wise one - we were without power for 8 days last winter.

I think I'll get a heat lamp in case we have any really cold nights forecast, and if we don't need it this winter I'll just have to get some chicks in the spring so it wasn't a wasted purchase!!

Thanks for all your advice. I'll add some pictures of the snowy coop (which the girls seem to be enjoying!) when I figure out how!!

8. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:Oh, I do remember that! We had well over a week where we were lucky if it got to a high of 2 degrees! That was just insane how cold it was.

I do have a heat lamp bulb that a friend who "got out" of chickens gave me. If it gets THAT cold again I would probably stick the heat bulb in the socket I have for the "day lengthening" bulb and take the timer off.

My husband got me a remote thermometer with two outdoor sensors, so I can always check the coop temp and the outside temp. It was a Christmas present but he caught me about to order one online so he just gave it to me! [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a sensor in my coop and the coldest its gotten (a few days ago) was 7 degrees.

We don't have any extra heat for them, the only heat in the coop is the base for their water so it doesn't freeze.
    They're all just fine, they cuddle together on the roost - once sleeps by herself on a shelf - but they're fine - they get a cup of scratch in the morning and a cup at night.
    And I made them some oatmeal yesterday and today when we had the ice storm come through...

My coop is pretty big for 12 chickens, its 8X20 - and its not TOTALLY sealed from the air - they had a open window to the horse barn, we covered it with a piece of wood tacked up - there is still gaps and openings in that, but no direct wind or air flow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by