heat ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cristina33, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    My chicks will be 8 weeks on friday, they have one of those red heat lights they are in the basement which is little chilli when should i take the light away??? There brooder is floorless they are on wire because they poop like mad !!! Never seen so much poo in my life LOL. I am in Ma and we are still cold this weekend we will be in the single digits. I would really like to move them out soon and not even really sure when to do that. Any advise is welcome.

Cristina

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    What's you're basement temperature?

General rule of thumb is to subtract 5 degrees each week -- so by week 8, you're talking 55 degrees being OK (and in practice, somewhat cooler than that isn't going to faze them, though single digits would likely be a shock to the system). I hope your basement's warmer than that XD

You can also move them outside with the lamp -- just be very, very careful to secure it properly since you don't want a coop fire.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Mass too, and wouldn't put out 8 weekers without a light. If the coop is draft free and you can run a heatlamp to the coop, plug it in and see how warm it is first thing in the morning. If you only have a few chicks, I'd do a heatlamp in teh coop during the day and bring them in at night for at least a few more weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by