Heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scooter147, Jul 31, 2008.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It is suppost to be 100 degrees with a heat index of 110+ this weekend and into early next week.
    What does every one do to keep their chickens from dropping dead from heat stroke?

I usually around 5 o'clock go out and hook the garden hose up to the sprinkler and lock the girls out of the coop and let it "rain" on them to cool them off.

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have lost 3 of my broiler chicken rescues due to the heat and Bridgette (our last broile rescue) had a light stroke due to the heat a few nights ago so we got outside at 10pm and installed a MisterMate. They can cool temp by 30 degrees and you can buy a timer for them too. Mine is 12' I think and was $25 but you can get shorter ones for less.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    i read some people freeze gallons of water and put them out in coop so they can lay near them, plus give watermelon.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I live in the hot south. We have temps betweek 95-100 everyday and a heat index up to 110+ most day due to the humidity. My chickens have a place to get out of the blaring sun. I also keep cool water for them in the heat of the day. I sometime put ice in the water. I also give them cold treats such as almost frozen watermelon, grapes, and other fruit. I also mist them with the water to help them cool off. So far my chickens are fine and I am getting eggs as usual.

Good luck![​IMG]

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

95 or 100 every day here also. The birds seem to be OK . I think they are jungle fowl & like the heat. I keep fresh water for them. I have a box fan in the coop, & give them a water melon ever couple days. They seem to love the heat & 95% humidity.

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We're in Louisiana & you bet it's hot here--humid too!
    Our four stay in the shade all of the time (in a tractor). I freeze fruit & veggies for them, & put ice cubes in their water several times a day, & I freeze 1/2 gallon containers of water & put that out in their run. So far, so good, they aren't old enough to start laying yet but are doing fine, no panting or anything.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Where in Louisiana ? I am in Lafayette .

Several times a week , I cook them big pots of rice and CHILL it for them and serve them this usualy MID afternoon when the heat is the worse ... THEY LOVE THE CHILLED RICE ....

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    cajunlizz

My birds LOVE rice, I often wonder if they think they are little maggots!

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:LOL to good to be maggots . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by