heated blanket vs heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RichnSteph, Feb 19, 2015.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We are bringing home yet another batch of chicks next week and have set up the brooder in the house. The last ones we had were older and didn't need additional heat so this is a first for us. I'd prefer to use a heated blanked instead of a heat lamp since I have a healthy fear of burning down our house. Would something as simple as a heating pad (for people) buried under the shavings produce enough heat in a contained space? I could even knit a feathered cover for it so the peeps would feel like there was a mama hen in there with them.

Thoughts?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would say the light would be better. The chicks will move away from the light when they are to warm and get closer if they are cold. Also, your heating pad will get covered in chicky poo [​IMG]

3. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    I have heard a heating pad is not good for chicks as it can get to hot and they can't get away from it. I would go with the light as well. I have put an O hook in my ceiling and hung it with a strap that has a metal hook, i have mine secured 2 ways one with that strap allows be to easily raise it I also have coat hangers I twisted together and hooked them to it as well so if one fails the other holds it in place..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by