Heated Chicken Coop Mat

Thats what I was thinking.... just how many chicken butts could fit on that thing? There would be a fight for sure. but still a very cool find thanks nancypoo I like that there arent any gauges you have to set or thermometers to hang. Its fool proof for beginners.

I wonder about things like this...because gadgets like this are completely disconnected from anything a bird would encounter in nature. Heated perches are another example. Make me go "hmmm."

Since a chicken's feet have no feather insulation, certainly a heating pad that they sit on would raise their body temperature effectively. But would it heat them too much? I guess if they have the option to get off the thing, that wouldn't happen. I do wonder what happens when you heat up chicken poop? And of course the main problem with chickens and very cold weather is frost bitten combs. I wonder if a heating pad the chicken sits on would have any impact on that. You'd still need to make sure your coop was adequately ventilated so that moisture doesn't build up inside it.

So many people seem worried about chickens in winter, when far more chickens actually die from heat in the summer time.

Quote:
I love the fact that so many new products are coming out for chickens, because that means keeping chickens is becoming more commonplace. Chickens aren't wild birds anymore anyway, for the most part; in most places they've become domesticated. You won't find heated water bowls, misters, fans, heatlamps, formulated feed, wormers, antibiotics and DE (in their user ready states) out in nature either. But I'm sure glad somebody invented them to make things easier for me and healthier/more comfortable for my chickens!
tongue.png

OP - shop around if you find something you like. That site is HIGH!!! I about fainted when I saw $33 or so for a Thermocube, when I paid around $12 for one.

I would never put something like that on litter. I'd only put it on something like a concrete paver. As long as it works as intended, great, but sometimes things go wrong with electrical items. I once had a waterbed heater go bad and melt the mattress!
ep.gif

If anyone gets one, just be sure to use it safely. Use the same care that you would securing a heat lamp or using a heat source for a waterer.

Back
Top Bottom