1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heated chicken waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dobey66, Dec 10, 2016.

1. dobey66

dobey66 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    My farm innovations heated waterer just died. I hated this one anyway. Such a pain to fill. Can anyone recommend another heated waterer? Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I hate mine too; it's in the barn as emergency backup only. I now use the heated metal bases (not homemade, but the cookie tin type) under metal waterers. Much more user friendly! Mary

3. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can use a heated dog dish, but make sure it's not too big or deep fur chickens to get into and be very wet. Mary

4. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Try a tote with lid (mine is 10 gallons) from Walmart, a stock tank heater that is okay to use in plastic, and horizontal nipples (not vertical nipples). Poke a hole in the lid for the cord from the stock tank heater. Easy to fill with a bucket if you take the top off, or easy to fill with a hose. Can easily see when it needs filling as the tote is semi transparent. Water stays clean as there is no way for the birds to get it dirty. Mine is kept in the run. So far the coldest it's had to deal with is -12 F. Been in the single digits here during the day this year and no freezing at all. Mine only needs filled once a week.

5. dobey66

Nov 13, 2014

6. dobey66

Nov 13, 2014
    Can I use the metal heated base under a plastic waterer?

7. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I don't know, but if you buy a heated base, it should say on the package. Mary

8. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    I have the metal heated base, and I just put a plastic bucket (like a big paint bucket) on top and it works fine. I too use the vertical nipple and have had no leaks. We've been getting temps down to single digits, have not gone below 0 F yet, but that is plenty cold. I will say though, my heater is under a barn roof, so it's not out in the open.

Whoops - I mean the **HORIZONTAL** nipples. Sorry, brain fart! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by