1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heated Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Charon, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Charon

Charon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    Look at this one I have its heated the little chippies love it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    To hot To hot!....your birds need to get used to the cold weather. If your power would to go out they would go into shock because the sudden change in temp.
    Also remember they have feathers..would be like you wearing a down coat inside your house with the heat set to 75.

If you are truly concerned then put it on a thermostat (This is a good one with a permanent setting Click)

I just finished cleaning out the coop and had a heat lamp on for my comfort. The girls actually moved away from the light and stayed out in the run.

You may also want to open the ventilation more.

This is also my first winter with chicken but after seeing how my cousins birds live I can now see where i may have gone over board on some areas.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. Charon

Dec 10, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    this is your first winter with chickens? Chickens pant when they get hot. I have a windows on it and they love it in there. The coop door is open during the day and they go out in the run it isnt like i am slow cooking them in a hot coop all night lol.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Looks very nice Charon.

Imp

5. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

That unprotected bulb could pose a problem. The chickens may break it when flapping around and cause a fire.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...never thought I'd see the day when I'd agree with TDM...lol. But I do think it'd be safest to find a way to cover that bulb. Even a rectangular strip of hardware cloth just loosely "draped/rolled" over the bulb, one end screwed in along the entire width (maybe 5 inches?) and the other with just one or two easy screws, for when you removed or change out the bulb. Can you picture what I'm suggesting?
    Your coop is really cute [​IMG]

7. Charon

Dec 10, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    ur right i better cover that bulb

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    An even better idea would be to get rid of the bulb entirely. The chickens don't need it, all you are doing is running up your electric bill and setting up a possible fire hazard.
    Jack

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    If you need a light for egg production, put in a smaller CFL bulb and cover it. Get rid of the heat. They are built to withstand cold weather. Humans are designed to think of ways to withstand cold weather. Even tropical critters like lions and tigers thrive in cold weather. Best time to go to the zoo, all the critters are active. In winter time, drafts and ventilation are the most important things to take care of for your birds, not heat.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why do you need to heat your coop in Oklahoma? I have 9 week old chicks in my unheated coop. It got down to 18* last night and all lived. I checked on them a couple times before going to bed and no one was crying. They need to learn to acclimate to the colder temps. They will buff up the feathers and if cold they will cuddle together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by