Heated Dog Bowl as Waterer

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
We bought 2 types of waterer for winter. One is a double-sided 3 gal galvanized waterer with a heated base and the second is a heated dog bowl. I was going to use the heated dog bowl for the barn cats, but my hens like to splash in water so much with their beaks that I'm giving them the dog bowl to see if it works out.

We installed it today, leaving the old summer waterer alongside in case we get a hen who resists the change. When we're sure all of them are using the new one, we'll use it exclusively in winter. We were lucky because there is a vertical beam in the coop which we could drill to push the cord through into the barn aisleway where there is an outlet. You need a drill bit sized 1 3/8 " to get the three-pronged plug through. It barely reached!

The 1.5 gal waterer is from Farm Innovators and has a cord protected with spring-like wire to discourage chewing or pecking. So far I like it a lot. So do the hens!

The bowl label lasted about 20 seconds, so I got it out of there!
lol.png

Last edited:
You made a wise decision buying that. I recently bought two of them, and Anne and I both think they're great. They're much, much easier to work with that any regular waterer. All you have to do is fill a bucket with water from your kitchen, carry it out to the coop, and dump it in the bowl. A regular chicken waterer is a pain in the neck to mess with, at least twice as much work.
When it warms up and we no longer need the heated bowl, we'll continue using it, just unplugged.

I just bought a similar bowl for my cats. I use the heated poultry waterer that hangs for the hens, and it is a major pain to fill and the cord doesn't like to stay plugged into the water. (And it cost twice as much as the dog bowl thing.) I use a deep litter in my coop, so I'd have to figure out a platform like yours to keep the bowl up out of the litter. I can't see that there would be much more water on the floor using this as using the one I have. Thanks, you got me thinking.

I just bought one of these as well and it does work great. It said not to use an extension cord with it but it was the only way to get it to an electrical outlet. The girls love it. I make sure to add vitamins to the water as well. It has never frozen. I don't know what it will do to my electrical bill but it says it costs "pennies a day."

I also bought one that is similar to yours. I just take a scrub brush & swish it around & dump the water & pour more into it, very simple! Chickesn don't mind it at all. It is so nice not to have their water freezing & having to run out 3 - 4 times a day to water them....I don't think so!

I love the product and does anyone know how to convince the hens it isn't a hot tub? Apparently they partied last night- clean feet, though!
Wind chill yesterday was -23C, so it was time to install this. I left the pop door open but the birds barely peeked out. I think the warm water made a huge difference to their metabolism.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom