Heated Dog Bowl w/ Plastic Fountain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckn Crazy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Do you think placing a plastic fountain inside a heated dog bowl could work? My girls will be locked up for sometime this winter and I'm trying to plan ahead. When the snow's blowing sideways I don't want to have to go out to check on water throughout the day. I have only 6 hens, and a small coop... any ideas?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Doesn't using a heated bowl or heated waterer cause excess moisture in the air? Last winter I just carried water out a couple times a day but this year I have almost tripled my little flock and carrying isn't going to be very efficient. I ask because I use a water tank heater for the horse and there is "steam" rising on those very cold mornings.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Good point Carrie. I have a heated dog bowl and will keep an eye on that this winter. We live in the desert and isn't quit as moist as the midwest, but still, in the coop that could be an issue.

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    A heated dog watering bowl does not get near as warm as the water tank heater. The dog waterer thermostat keeps the water from freezing and that's it. At least that is all ours does. There is no additional evaporation due to the heater.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Ok, but couldn't you just set the fountain inside the bowl to a ensure clean quantity of water?

7. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Ha - look what I found from shopthecoop.com... anyone tried this?

[​IMG]

8. cherp68

cherp68 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Fonthill, Ontario
    Last winter I mounted a simple low watt lightbulb to the floor of the coop. I then took the porcelain bowl from an old crockpot and mounted it upside down over the bulb. Then set the standard plastic water dispenser on top of the upside-down porcelain bowl. Worked like a charm as the bulb heats the porcelain just enough to heat the water just enough to prevent the water from freezing. And since the entire porcelain pot gets warm; this method also takes a bit of the chill out of the air in the coop on the coldest winter nights.

9. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    I saw that Mother Earth News is having a solar powered chicken waterer contest, but it doesn't end till 1/11

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:No one I've heard of that has tried one of those has been happy with it.

A "Cookie Tin heater" is still the cheapest, most reliable fountain heater

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by