Heated dog bowl

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Czarben, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Czarben

Czarben Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Hastings, MI
    Just picked one up at TSC for $20. It's only November and it looks like January outside in Michigan.

2. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    I just bought one also...I have a question...My 2 barred rock hens born in april have been outside since june..sleeping in the front corner of their enclosure....on the top of 3 stacked tables covered with a tarp...and although I have an aluminum shed where they go daily to lay their eggs they have not left the tarp covered outdoor tabless for sleeping....its getting to 21 degrees and I'm wondering why they never sleep in the shed which is warmer than the outdoor shelf...I have a similar stacked table setup in there too..

3. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    [​IMG]

4. kathenna

kathenna New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    This is my first year with chickens. I'm wondering if the heated dog dish will cause issues when they dip in to drink and get their wattles wet. It is well below freezing here and I don't want frozen wattles!

5. sonjap

sonjap Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Yes, my rooster got pretty sever frostbite on his wattles because I was using the heated dog bowl. I was just getting ready to post about it.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I put a gallon milk jug full of water in the middle, so the water in the dog bowl forms a "moat". Keeps the wattles out of the water, keeps them from walking in it, and also makes it easier to top off the dog bowl when there's a jug of water handy!

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't use a heated water bowl, but that's a very clever idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by