Heated dog water bowl!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickendude, Jan 8, 2011.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Just got one at Tractor supply last week for $19.99I can't believe I haven't bought it earlier. No more freezing water for my girls. I highly recommend it for all of us northerners.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have 1 little one 1 large one and 3 base pan heaters!!! I still need more or a cheaper electric company! [​IMG]

3. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Mine is 50 watts so not too bad on electricity. Do you have NYSEG as your electric company?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:I have a base pan heater and a galvanized water fount but I was hesitant on leaving it out in the rain and snow. The dog bowl is 100% waterproof.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have a base pan heater and a galvanized water fount but I was hesitant on leaving it out in the rain and snow. The dog bowl is 100% waterproof.

I have mine inside breeder pens- have never had issues....Not sure what the whatts are but I cant care too much only because there are times where it will freeze in hours without them and I work all day 7-5... I need them:-(

6. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    You might consider looking up "thermocube." They are thermostatically controlled plug ins and will come on at a specified temp range ( they come in several ranges). I have seen them on Amazon for as low as 9.99. that way they aren't on all the time, just when temp drops below "x" temp.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:hmm good idea but the base pan heaters only come on at certain temps too:- Im going to look up what you said though just to see:-0 thanks

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The dog water bowl I got runs on thermostat so it does help some on electric bill, but sure is nice not to have to break ice water every morning [​IMG]

9. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Thank you for the tip. The bowl I have will only come on at 40 degrees or lower. So it's not on all the time.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I got the same one at TSC first winter I had chickens. Liked it so well that I bought a second one!!!!

Unfortunately my chickens live without electricity now, so I'm lugging water again. DH likes orange juice though, and Florida OJ comes in plastic gallon jugs here, so I recycle them to carry water to the chickens in. Easy to pour, not heavy, and a tight lid that doesn't leak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by