1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heated dog watering dish question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by usalbrechts, Nov 8, 2007.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    For thoes of you that use these in the winter, here is my question. Do you have problems with your chickens getting into the water and tipping it or making a mess in it? Is there a way to cover the top to make it more like a traditional poultry waterer?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Can you put it on a cinder block? Raising it may help.

Off topic, but related: I should be receiveing in the mail today or tomorrow a new heated chicken waterer. I didn't even see a picture of it, but a few BYC members from Iowa mentioned it a few weeks ago, and I've been on the hunt to find it. I have a friend in Iowa that I sent the brand (Farm Innovations) and part number to, and she picked it up last weekend & popped it in the mail Monday. It's supposed to look like a traditional waterer, with domed top, but it's electric/heated with a wire-wrapped cord. Can't wait to see it!

3. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    I put mine out last week. Mine are on cinder blocks. I never have a problem with tipping (used them last year too). But some of them do perch on the edge of the bowl and I have to change the water daily because of dirt and feathers in the water. I haven't given any thought to covering it so can't help you there.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine have been very polite about not getting the water dirty, which surprised me. Unlike when they were chicks! [​IMG]

5. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Any ideas about this unanswered question? How to cover a heated dog dish and avoid the problem of poop and messing in it?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You might be able to put a large funnel over it, with a cutout for them to stick their heads in

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Have the chook's bowl in corner, raised on pavers. All but .75"w/3"l semi-lunar portion of bowl is covered with a plastic storage container lid, this is weighted down to top of bowl with another paver (paver/bowl/lid against corner stud in coop - chooks won't get up on lid or paver). Chooks can get beaks in opening/very little bedding gets kicked in to the narrow gap.

Started trying out various covers years ago when we found the roo using the heated water as a hot tub (was actually napping in water, air temp. was about 10°F).

1 person likes this.
  8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I always have my waterer elevated so they don't sit on and poop. It just needs to be raised up 6"-8" or so, bricks, cement block, 2gal. bucket, etc. But the heated dog water dish, is this an open dish on top?

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours is on cinder blocks. Maybe 8 or 10 inches tall (plus the height of the water bowl). They get a few shavings and feathers in it but so far nothing too bad. We make sure it doesn't get too low (quantity wise) or else they'll tip it over.

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    A few thoughts: Put a piece of velcro underneath so they can't tip it over. Find a plastic lid that fits the top of the bowl and cut a hole in it so they can get some water without walking in it or getting shavings in it. Set a chicken waterer inside the heated dog water bowl.

I have my waterer sitting on top of an upside down plastic bin to raise it up. The bin can be wiped off easily if wet (the board I used to have was getting moldy smelling) and I cut the top off of a gallon milk container and put it upside down over the waterer so they can't roost on top of it. I have it zip-tied to the wall so they can't knock it off either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by