Heated pet bowl with rocks and waterer sitting on top?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
I can't remember the poster or the thread I was reading, but someone suggested that they used a heated dog water bowl, put some rocks and water in it, and placed a 1 or 2 gallon waterer on top of this and this prevented the chicken water from freezing. Can someone point me in the right direction, or give information about the efficacy of this method.

This is opinion only, but the heater in that bowl is designed to heat the amount of water in it, not more. And in a very cold climate, pushing any electric heater beyond it's capacity is not smart!
Use any heater as it's designed to be used!!!
Here we use the heater bases for metal waterers, and a heated dog bowl, all fine.
Mary

Thanks for the response. I purchased the bowl just so there is always water in the coop for the birds, in case their waterers outside freeze before getting my attention. But after reading and thinking I realized that this is not the best possible option as I have roosters with big wattles and the bowl is very deep. Is the worst that can happen is the bowl stops heating? (would really not matter much as it is pretty much useless to me anyway unless I can figure out a way to make it work)

Here is an image of the bowl in question, hoping someone has advice on MAKING this work, for the birds. I've reached my limit on $$ spent on anything more other than stuff they eat and bedding.

Attachments

• 8079170.jpg
    8079170.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2
I haven't had to use a heater yet this year but plan on using a heated dog bowl too (because I already have one).
My plan is to use a gallon water bottle with a hole at the bottom inside the bowl to release water as needed.
1. To allow a bit more water to be available before running out
2. To prevent anyone from getting in the water bowl because it reduces surface area (can add appropriate sized rock around the edge to further reduce area
3. Easy to see levels

Sometimes there are days when it just freezes overnight and is not needed all the time I just fill that gallon jug with hot water and leave the heater off and is good go overnight

Some bottles are roundish like a milk jug but some water bottles are squareish and taller, just get the one that fits your bowl best.

I do something similar with the horses water on overnight freezes, just float a couple of water jugs full of hot water in the tank and that's enough to get through the night. Saves $$ :)

@Little Brown Coop , approximately where do you live? I can't imagine that your plan would work in Michigan, for example.
Here we have heaters under the chicken waterers and in the horse water tank, and managing to remember to plug them in daily would be a problem, at least for me. And I want the horses to have warmer than 33F water to drink too.
Mary

Hi Ruby!

Just wondering what you ended up doing with the heated pet bowl?

I just got two 5 week old chicks, and I currently have them in a large dog crate in the coop for the time being. I need to make a better set up for their water, because it’s freezing very quickly on me (I live in Ontario).

I set up the waterer earlier this morning and am already having issues with them climbing in it. Besides the mess, I’m more worried about frostbite. Maybe unrelated, but I had it set up for maybe 45 minutes and when I went to go check on it, I found water droplets on my other hens eggs. So now I’m worried about a humidity issue.

The rocks and some water with the plastic waterer seems like it could be a good solution to my problems. But as always, worried about the potential fire risk.

Thanks,
Bonnie ☺️

Hi Ruby!

Just wondering what you ended up doing with the heated pet bowl?

I just got two 5 week old chicks, and I currently have them in a large dog crate in the coop for the time being. I need to make a better set up for their water, because it’s freezing very quickly on me (I live in Ontario).

I set up the waterer earlier this morning and am already having issues with them climbing in it. Besides the mess, I’m more worried about frostbite. Maybe unrelated, but I had it set up for maybe 45 minutes and when I went to go check on it, I found water droplets on my other hens eggs. So now I’m worried about a humidity issue.

The rocks and some water with the plastic waterer seems like it could be a good solution to my problems. But as always, worried about the potential fire risk.

Thanks,
Bonnie ☺️
Hi Bonnie. I didn't end up using the pet bowl.
Last winter I just switched the frozen 2 gallon waterers out a couple of times a day. This year I bit the bullet and bought a heated nipple waterer for my birds. It took a while for them to get used to it but all are using it now and I no longer have to fuss with frozen water. Open water sources in the coop can be an a frostbite hazard. Hope you can find a reasonable resolution!

Hi Bonnie. I didn't end up using the pet bowl.
Last winter I just switched the frozen 2 gallon waterers out a couple of times a day. This year I bit the bullet and bought a heated nipple waterer for my birds. It took a while for them to get used to it but all are using it now and I no longer have to fuss with frozen water. Open water sources in the coop can be an a frostbite hazard. Hope you can find a reasonable resolution!
Thanks for getting back to me!! Glad things ended up working out well for you last winter☺️ I’ve been interested in switching my grown flock to a nipple water system, but I’ve got a heated regular waterer that seems to be doing the trick for now.

I’m sure I’ll be able to find a good set up for the little ones. I’m now thinking the humidity issue might be because the weathers all over the place and it’s 3 now, but it was -10 or so last night. Might be from the ground and all the snow melting outside? I’ll keep an eye on it but hopefully I’ll be able to make do until spring!

Bonnie

I’m now thinking the humidity issue might be because the weathers all over the place and it’s 3 now, but it was -10 or so last night. Might be from the ground and all the snow melting outside?
Always good to measure the humidity inside and outside the coop.

I’ll keep an eye on it but hopefully I’ll be able to make do until spring!
Then you can get them started on the horizontal nipples, and your next winter will be easier for all.

Any recommendations on which kind/brands for the heated water/nipple combination? I have been using the heated dog bowl, but it stopped working last week. Soo back to changing the water.

Back
Top Bottom