Heated Water Bowl Emergency!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cavendish Chickens, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    We bought a heated water bowl... the kind that sits on the ground. It's been doing good, but today and yesterday the water has been frozen. Now It has a large crack all the way through the bottom. It's not holding water, and I'm worried it may be a fire hazard now. What can we do???? Advice... please!!! [​IMG] Being that it's only Feb. 1st, we have a long way to go still before spring... when we can use the other waterer..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    We live in eastern NY and have lots of cold weather. We have two of the plastic waterers and no heat or electric in the coop. We just change the water out every couple of hours and all is good. We had -18°F last week and no problems.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Don't use it anymore. Use some other container, even a bowl for adults. Just take water out a couple of times a day, so they can drink their fill. That should get them through until you figure something out.

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Cookie tin heater, less than $5 to make.
    Socket adapter that gets plugged right into an extension cord.
    [​IMG]

Bend the lip of the tin down in 1 spot with a pair of plier, this is where the cord exits.
    [​IMG]

Put the lid on, tape around the lid to waterproof it and keep it on with electrical tape. This keeps a black hog bowl or 1 to 3 gallon waterer from freezing in central PA with a 40 watt bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by